Early dashboard

Everything else Eleven related
Chris59

Early dashboard

Post by Chris59 »

Hello guys,

I would like to find/buy/built an early dashboard, similar to the Lotus Eleven dash.

I don't really like mine, as the look is to modern, imho.

Do you know where i can get one, or drawings to make one myself ?

Good pictures showing how the instruments and switches are would help too, thanks.
beng4

Re: Early dashboard

Post by beng4 »

When i made my car i looked at many pictures of 'real' cars and many that were on the current race scene, whilst most show the same general lay out no two were exactly the same. With mine i kind of aproximated to get the general layout. You will find that on the westfield the column goes through the dashboard making it impossible to site the rev counter directly in the centre line of the steering column. The sf4 fusebox looks good on the dash if you can run your loom through it. Crude diagram from ortenburgers book.

Ben

[attachment=2]image.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Thanks Ben, that's what I was looking for.

Do you think that i can reuse the same speedos as fitted on my "modern" dashboard ?

Sorry to ask (I'm new in this !), but I don't understand "sf4", is it a reference to find one of these fusebox ?

Edit : "sf4" fuse box found available everywhere on the Net, thanks !
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

I'll have to find also the light swith, do you have a reference for this too ?
beng4

Post by beng4 »

I used a cheapo rotary light switch like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotary-4-Way- ... SwjVVV2tm6

It was cheap, looked ok and got me though IVA. Most period cars have an integrated light and ignition switch like in the pic below, then also a horn and dip switch by the side. Both of these are available, but they are quite expensive.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpg
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Many thanks for your help, Ben ;)
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

It's difficult to mount the tach centered behind the steering wheel as the steering shaft tube intrudes beneath it.
A smaller diameter "chronometric" replica tach may be small enough to fit.

My unrestored '56 Lotus 7 Series 1 was built alongside the 11, and had a pull, twist, pull light switch. These used to be quite expenaive, but are now readily available and reasonable in price. I have seen this switch on several Lotus 11s.

Other Lotus 11s I have seen have had rotary thumb switches, with and without integrated key switches.

My last build had a rotary thumb switch I sourced from Vintage Spares (they have everything you need as far as period lighting, switchgear) in the UK. It was a simple sidelight/taillight, dipped beam, high beam combination switch. I used a separate key switch and start button.

Making an instrument panel is easy. You can use your kit's panel for a pattern. Don't bother with curling the edges over the top tube if that presents a problem.

The panel can be attached to the tubes with screws and rivnuts, or pop rivets. Holes can be die punched, fly cut or hand cut with a nibbler if you are using thin materials. Upholstery can be cut and glued in place using spray adhesive.

With most Lotus 11s having been extensively restored, there really is no particular placement of switches, or gauges. About the only thing that is uniform is that the small diameter tach is centered, and there is a dual gauge close by. with the light switch somewhere near the center.
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

This is mine, waiting for build-in:

[attachment=1]IMG_1591.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_1592.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Thanks guys, once again your contributions are much appreciated.

I'll go to a classic car show in England this weekend, where I hope to find the missing bits, as switches and fuse box.

Cheers !
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Is that a light switch, or a trafficator/horn switch?

I have an identical one on the shelf, for turn signals and horn. 'Came off of an old Triumph tR2 (and as I recall, my Grandfather had one just like it on his Austin A40). Three position: Left, off, right.

If you are looking for period switches and lighting, Vintage Spares in the UK has everything electrical that you are looking for. You can always use their online catalog for part numbers and descriptions.