15" wheels; an alternative?

All things oily!
Custardbadger

Re: 15" wheels; an alternative?

Post by Custardbadger »

Gents

I have the XZXs fitted to 15'' MWS wheels (Jan's spec for the wheels - thanks Jan as ever for your input). I too would love to fit 15 Dunlops but the prospect of losing my license here in the UK for having four illegal tires ultimately put me off. Come on Dunlop, certify those 15s....

As Jan notes, the XZX and 15 inch wheel combination is very tight upfront. I have yet to fully set the car up, but adjustments to the light pods are necessary and the turning circle is certainly restricted. I've also yet to look at what Westfield did with the steering rack to get my car through the IVA - they may have fitted restrictors.

I'm based in Ibstone near High Wycombe so if anybody wants to come over and have a look at the set up on the car, just let me know.

A few pictures of the car on this wheel and tyre set up below

David
Attachments
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4066.JPG
IMG_4064.JPG
Splat

Post by Splat »

Hi David!

Welcome here!! And what a lovely looking car; congratulations!

An important question for me. What tyres have you fitted? And likewise, could you post photos of your modded headlamp bowls?

If your turning circle has been artificially reduced to stop the wheels rubbing at lock, it's almost certainly no more than a nylon tube jubilee-clipped to the track rods. Peal back the gaiters on the rack and there they'll be.

There are several cars to the south west of London. I'm in Andover, Clance is in darkest Wilts and I think that Simon Marks may be on your doorstep.

Maybe a get together this summer?
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi, David,

What a lovely car. When I bought my kit (three years ago) I was led to believe that Westfield Racing Green was my only option. Now, knowing more, I realise that I could have had something different. The cars I have seen in the dark blue have always turned my head!

I live just west of Oxford and, as Splat says, a get together would be a great idea. Sounds like Newbury / Hungerford would be a geographical centre?

Simon
Splat

Post by Splat »

Ditto; the blue looks fab! And so does the gaff! Yours? The door in the background doesn't look particularly domestic, but you can't rely on that.....

In addition to the tyre make and sizes, can you remember your wheel dimensions? The back looks like Jan's beloved centre-laced jobbie, but what about the front?
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

Thanks chaps, very kind. I'd welcome a meet up - I've only ever seen one other car in the flesh. Happy to host a BBQ in Ibstone (a few other toys in the barn...) or to travel.

The wheels were to Jan's suggested spec. I'll dig out the exact spec tomorrow. The front tyres are the Michelin XZX 145 SR 15. I'll confirm rears tomorrow as well.

I haven't altered the light pods yet - you can see from the photo below the wear on the pods. Needs sorting. I've been on other projects but it's time to finish up this lovely little car.
Attachments
IMG_4094.JPG
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

While I'm on, can I commend mark@jacobengineering.co.uk for their beautiful steering wheels. Fitted up with their quick release boss it's a joy. A few more pics
Attachments
IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

A couple more
Attachments
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The rear wheels are a center laced Triumph TR 250 application, 5.5" wide. This increases the rear track slightly (about 30 mm), which benefits handling, softening the transition to over steer (more throttle control) and reducing somewhat (slightly) the tendency to spin the inside rear wheel on corner exit (I still suggest a clutch type LSD, like a TranX or 3J).

I have to go to my notes for the exact part number, but this is an easy find in the MWS catalog. It may also be in the archives/data of my Westyxiownersbuildersdrivers site at Yahoo groups. These center laced wheels also center taller tires within the rear body work.

I have not tried these wheels on a wire wheel hub equipped disc wheel axle, which is an inch wider than the wire wheel axle housing.

Another note: If you use one of the long handle knock off wrenches, it probably wont work on the center laced wheels, as the rim extnds beyond the knock off just far enough to keep the wrench from engaging the ears. 'Still need a hammer for those rears... I suggest a solid lead hammer rather than the usual copper/cowhide Thor precussion tool. The lead doesn't leave dents or cracks in the chrome...

You can use 5" wide wheels, or 5.5 wheels in the rear without the center lacing as well. There are a small variety of back side spacing options for adjustment of the rear track width if you want to use that to adjust handling, or if you are using a bolt on wire wheel adapter rather than a wire wheel axle shaft in combination with a disc wheel axle.

The ground off bits of the buckets are typical to cars with the ZX tires.

I don't use any limit stops on the steering rack with the 4.50X15s or the 185/70/13s. 'Doesn't seem to be a need.

The car ls lovely. I am going to make a note about the steering wheel, as I need a new one to replace the little 12" that is currently on my car.
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

Ja your input on this and other forums is hugely helpful and thank you for your efforts to share the technical detail. 'You d man' as I believe they say over there.
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

Sorry, for Ja read Jan