15" wheels; an alternative?

All things oily!
Custardbadger

Re: 15" wheels; an alternative?

Post by Custardbadger »

Hi Splat (sorry is it Simon?)

I'm up at our place in Ibstone from Saturday afternoon and on Sunday this weekend. If you want to drop in and have a look at my car / wheels / hubs etc jut let me know.

Regards,
David
Splat

Post by Splat »

Hi David,

Thank you. I too have always said that any other owner passing by Andover is more than welcome to drop in for a natter. Sadly, to date nobody's taken me up. I'd love to see your car, it looks lovely (and very nearly finished?). But weekends are a rare occasion in my line (by coincidence (?) Jon, Biggles and I all fly airliners out of Heathrow!). Next time that I'm planning to visit my friends in High Wycombe, I'll let you know. That said, we must try and organise a proper get-together for all-comers this summer.

Best regards,

Simon
Splat

Post by Splat »

Hi Jan,

Two points. Your input is very helpful, but if you're going to join in on a (mostly) British forum, you need to be slightly less thin-skinned. My use of the word "butchery" was just throwaway, off-the-cuff humour; not a criticism! We're all friends here!

Secondly; you make a very good point about the threads not needing to protrude. Perhaps because they do protrude through my current wheels so much, I failed to appreciate that the threads of the spinner sit INSIDE the Whub. I haven't the time to investigate today, but I'll be revisiting this tomorrow for sure. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that you've got it......

Fingers crossed.

Best regards,

Simon

(As ever, before I posted this, I proof read it. How on earth did the iPad predictive text substitute "iMessage" for "time"?)
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Once upon a time, I was worried about the threads and the protrusion beyond the hub... I had a car come by that had the 14" wheels removed by a shop because "there were not enough threads"...

I did some measurements later, on my own car, and a couple of others that were to be fitted with 15" wheels, and found that there was plenty of engagement. Also, it took several turns of the knock off to get it into position prior to the tightening wack with the hammer.

And, the minilites with the spline centers on my E Type had flush threads... So, after taking some meaasurements (counting the turns on the knock off and measureing the engagement), I found that the information I had was, well, incorrect. The wheels fit properly.

Sorry about the language. I am not at all like our present (and likely short term) President and don't mean to be inflamatory.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Oh, you wrote nothing that you need to apologise for, Jan. It was just that you quite clearly didn't like my use of the word "butchery" in reference to your build work. Although our society becomes more like the US every day, we still have the ability to speak a little more freely without offence being instantly taken. Though you should google "Rhodes must fall" to see the sort of direction we're heading in. Banter is easy among friends, less so among strangers; so trust me, it's all banter.

As for His Orangeness, it'll either be impeachment or a second term!

SCROTUS: Self Confessed Ruler of the United States.

And I understood exactly what you meant about thread engagement when you wrote of it earlier. Very hopeful that tomorrow will prove you right (much as it pains me to admit it......)
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

No problem Simon, just shout if you're heading over High Wycombe way.

Off topic on this one gents, but I'm fitting the Protec rear shocks. Can anyone direct me to info on the shape and size of the cut out I need to make to the ali skin underneath the diff?

Many thanks
D
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Trace a triangle that clears the diff housing, and remember to cut a round hole to clear the swing tree bracket.

You can lower the rear axle to the floor of the chassis, and mark it with a Sharpy. Drill holes at the corners, and use a nibbler to cut the hole.

Watch when you lower the axle so that you dont make a dent with the low hanging swing tree mount.

BTW. I believe that you can mount the Protechs upside down, adjusters UP, so that they are more easily adjusted, and not subjected to as much road grit. You can call Protech and ask about upside down mounting.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Rather than drift this thread, I've posted photos on the relevant thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=175&p=5059#p5059

My shocks are inverted with no ill effect.
Custardbadger

Post by Custardbadger »

Thanks both
Best
David
Splat

Post by Splat »

So, time for an update!

Firstly, if you decide to transport two 15J4 wire wheels, dressed with 145R15 tyres AND two loose 165R15 tyres on the passenger seat of your Lambo, then you're probably not going to be able to see anything in your nearside passenger mirror.
Nor, on arrival at your destination are you going to be able to engage reverse, when the gearknob fouls on said tyres.......