Anyone bidding on a donor Midget this weekend?

Everything else Eleven related
biggles

Anyone bidding on a donor Midget this weekend?

Post by biggles »

Just wanted to be sure I am not bidding against one of our own. There is a midget on eBay that I am after!
Tim
Splat

Re: Anyone bidding on a donor Midget this weekend?

Post by Splat »

So, do you have a donor?
biggles

Post by biggles »

No, it went for over £1500!

I'm exploring other avenues. Most interestingly, the DVLA is saying that once classics hit the rolling tax exemption age, they can display black and silver plates....
Splat

Post by Splat »

Ouch!

Mine's worn black plates for a while now. The MoT guys know full-well that it shouldn't, but don't give a tiny toss! And, as zealous as Traffic are, you'd have to meet one in a particularly foul mood to get a ticket for it!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Wow!

My frilly '67 I got for a grand...

Just goes to show that the donors for our cars are becoming so rare. :(
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi,
My donor was £720 almost exactly three years ago from today's date - and it wasn't a bad one, either! I also bought through eBay but its location (Glasgow) may have helped cut down the number of bidders.

With all the classic car programmes on the TV (such as Car SOS and Wheeler Dealers), the classic press is full of articles bemoaning that "starter" classics are becoming unattainable for many - with every seller believing that their rusty heap is worth a couple of grand as a pile of bits and £5k with an MOT! It is looking like they are correct.

Good luck with the continuing search, Biggles, - there will be a car out there for you somewhere. Should we put a thread on here for possible donor vehicles so if anyone hears of something becoming available, they can let other members know?

Simon
biggles

Post by biggles »

There are cars out there for a grand but as previously said, tend to be in Dundee or Falkirk. Much as I want to visit the Falkirk Wheel (google it if you haven't heard of it, it's quite something!), I want to do it in the summer, without a trailer behind the family car, and with said family within!

On another note, it hasn't been an entirely unproductive week, as although I haven't found my donor yet, it has wire wheel axles and a fat rack ;)

Regards all, Tim
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

keep an eye out for midget based kit cars too. my donor is an arkley, basically a glass fibre body kit to replace the body panels and make it an especially ugly midget (imho). it has all the required donor parts ( including a V5) but pricing could be better than a straight midget.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

keep an eye out for midget based kit cars too. my donor is an arkley, basically a glass fibre body kit to replace the body panels and make it an especially ugly midget (imho). it has all the required donor parts ( including a V5) but pricing could be better than a straight midget.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Yep, been doing that too. I can't believe the Arkley Ss is still in production (kit), but it is!

Also had another look at the .gov DVLA pages, and it seems now that you can get an age related plate using just front and rear axles and steering from one donor, as long as you use a manufactured kit chassis, as we do. So potentially, straight to k series/type9 etc and not getting a Q plate. Well this week, anyway!