My 11 build

Everything else Eleven related
zei220

Re: My 11 build

Post by zei220 »

Finishing some detail work today.

Glassing in the bonnet ribs as suggested by Jan. Just need to paint them black.

[attachment=1]bonnet rib.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]bonnet rib2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
bonnet rib2.jpg
bonnet rib.jpg
zei220

Post by zei220 »

First drive out of the garage, I know not very far, but drives in first and reverse gears :D

[attachment=0]first drive.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
first drive.jpg
Splat

Post by Splat »

Well done! :D
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If it runs hot, get rid of the fan mount shroud, put the fan on the back side of the radiator using a through the rad mounting kit. This will reduce your engine temps by about 35F on a warm day. Maybe more

The standard cooling fan mounting and shroud reduces the size of the radiator's exposed cooling surface by about 1/3rd or more. This may not be a problem in the UK, but it means instant overheating here in California. This is especially a problem with modified engines that produce more power (and power is heat).

Quick note: Jeg's here in the US sells an MG Midget Aluminum radiator, direct fit, for about $200. I am not sure if this is a good deal in the UK, but is certainly is here in the US. It's on my list of things to do this year.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Apart from 40 bucks, I was wondering what the difference between these two are?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling ... 4/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling ... 4/10002/-1

This looks similar for $108. CA based, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Row-Aluminiu ... .l4275.c10

In the UK, a cheap one is a couple of hundred quid.

Compare with the beautifully crafted offering from Peter May:

https://www.petermayengineering.com/?attachment_id=2221

No price. Probably lots.

Or, you could do what I did. Invite Splat over, and he gives you his almost new spare. :D Cheers mate!
Splat

Post by Splat »

You’re welcome, Jon.

The photo on Peter May’s site is of a Radtec Racing radiator (even though it differs from the photo of a 1275 Midget radiator on their own site!). £312 +VAT from Radtec. They offer two core depths, same-as-standard 40mm and 50mm for the racers. They did me the latter for the price of the former. With a shrouded, front mounted fan, I have to be careful that I’m not running too COLD at times! Hot-weather track days and even last year’s scorching Le Mans trip, running hard in 35°C ambient temperatures, trouble the cooling system not one whit.
Attachments
E0B386D3-CCA7-45E5-AF6F-D4410FA9CA44.jpeg
E4419CF7-37E1-452F-AB5E-FA1BBA30238E.jpeg
BAA030A7-91AB-4C5E-9167-16A457DBFBE4.jpeg
biggles

Post by biggles »

Artful sneaking in of the trophy rack in the background Splatters! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you are all well chaps! I’m overrun by builders and 3 year olds, only the boring two of my ten strong fleet are moving!! Must try harder.....
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I used a double pass radiator (with both outlet and inlet on the same side to clean up the plumbing) that weighed 1KG in my last build, and used a much smaller fan. It also cooled "too much", but that's why I have a thermostat. I never ran into a problem in temps that ran from the low 40s F to a day in traffic/race day at Willow Springs at 110F.
It was a bit smaller than the original Spridget rad, which made packaging easier as it could stand nearly straight up. It was as wide as the front frame element.
I fabricated the brackets and duct on the break. Not that difficult.
The whole saga of the mounting is here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wes ... /206884412

Toggle through the images.

The trick is radiator design, not so much the size. The little double pass rad looked tiny, but I was assured by the fabricator that it was far more efficient than the copper/brass unit I was replacing. It was. In fact, if I were to do it again, I would make it a couple of inches shorter, so that it could stand straight up.

The other trick is paying for a double pass alloy rad built to spec. About $750... Well, the client paid for it.
I know that there are other radiator fabricators that do this less expensively. I would expect to pay about $300~400 today (if I could find the drawing...) as I now know of more fabricators doing this sort of work.

I am going to do a bit of an update of my own W11, with a new alloy rad, double bearing hubs, new front spindles, 15" wheels and get those shear plates welded in for the rear axle control arms. Maybe even paint!
zei220

Post by zei220 »

I'm off to Colorado for.4 weeks riding the back roads so no updates until the end of July.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Hello everyone, I'm back in the garage...
I've fitted the loan seats from Westfield and wonder if anyone who as also used those seats, how did you route the shoulder straps of the seat belts? Did they go through the holes in the seats or around the sides? Just wondering what the IVA inspector wants.

TIA, Dave