My 11 build

Everything else Eleven related
Westfield 129

Re: My 11 build

Post by Westfield 129 »

Good to know. The reliability of modified or standard Maniflow manifolds is not really so good. They tend to crack at the Y pipe...

Don't wrap the exhaust if you want it to last over 2000 miles... Wrapping will make it impossible to check for cracks during your usual engine compartment visual inspection. Also, header wrap can hold oil, antifreeze (yes, it burns) or fuel causing an additional fire hazard if there is a leak. Rather than wrap the header, use a heat shield of aluminum or stainless steel.

You can TIG weld a couple of studs to the center branch to attach it. This is reliable, and will keep the header from cracking.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

>You can TIG weld a couple of studs to the center branch to attach it. This is reliable, and will keep the header from cracking.

good idea, thanks.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

One more thing:

If you run a Weber 45DCOE on a Maniflow 5" or 6" manifold (it can be flat or a 1/4" rise configuration), the carb will be far away from the exhaust and will still have adequate bonnet clearance. Also, there are small heat shields that can go under the Weber if you don't want to do a header heat shield.

I am not a fan of the under carb heat shield.

Check out the build of my RHD car at the westyxiownersbuildersdrivers site on Yahoo. There are lots of engine installation images. Sign in and I will cheer your membership if you are not already on the roster.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Thanks, I'm already on the roster and using the info i find.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Wes ... 1840057880

This should get you the picture of the heat shield.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If you need any specific images of assemblies, I do have a completely assembled car that I am driving regularly. It comes apart easily so I can shoot anything you need to see in short order. The engine has a 45DCOE Weber on a 6" Maniflow intake with a carb top mounted linkage.

It is very light, so there are not many parts in the way (no wheel houses or baffles) if you need to see anything, from the suspension to the under scuttle layout of the electrics.

My transmission is a Datsun B210 5 speed, so the trans mount is from another planet, but other than that...

The build images on the Westyxiownersbuildersdrivers site and the Westfield_Eleven site cover the installation of the Type 9.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Thank you for your offer of photos, I may take you up on it once the kit arrives.

Dave
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Hello,
I've been busy over the last few days. The both front stub axle/brake assemblies are rebuilt, new bearings, seals, discs, calipers. The rear axle is also ready for fitting after new bearings, seals, brakes etc.

Just need the kit now.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Excellent progress!

What coating did you use on your refurbished parts? I am thinking POR15 when I re-do my trailing arms in a few months. Looking to do the bushes next week.

Any pics to post?

Cheers

Jon
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Hello,

The parts were shot blasted and then eteched primed, top coat is a 2 pack epoxy from rustbuster.

I'll get a few photos in the week.