Everything else Eleven related
techbod
Site Admin

Lotus 15 on piston heads

Post by techbod »

erictharg

Re: Lotus 15 on piston heads

Post by erictharg »

Oh dear. We know what the Buick V8 became - the Rover V8. And whilst I'd hate to put that bulge in my bonnet I do so love the sound of a V8. I feel a mission coming on. Rover V8 into Westfield Eleven...aaagh. Think of something sensible...
No. Not working. Previous idea of Dolomite Sprint engine now eclipsed by V8 sound. If I believed in fate I'd say it was meant to be. Thanks Marcus!
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

You're very welcome :D
Do it :ymapplause:
Bonnet hump is one thing, not so sure about the spaghetti of exhaust pipes though? I guess two exhausts, one each side. Adds weight, better be a very powerful v8 to make up for it :)
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Ok - so the V8 is somewhat heavier. Maybe 150lbs. But I'd need to beef up the rear end too. So,Caterham like De Dion, with LSD should cope with that. And it would be nice to have some power on oversteer to balance the inevitable understeer the heavier engine gives.
Exhausts could get messy but not insoluble. Not 2011. But for 2012? What a project...and I see no Dolly Sprint engines out there.
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

According to one source, there may not be as much weight gain as you think. The A series is supposed to weigh in at 252lb and the V8 at 318lb, yes you need to allow for exhausts etc but the gain may be less than the 150lb you suggested.

What about a complete change, how about the complete running gear from an RX8? Nice 6 speed box, 231bhp, RWD oh and once you get rid of all the excess gubbins on the engine it should be a nice compact unit that shouldn't need a bulge in the bonnet.

Alternatively, a Suzuki Cappuccino also has 5 speed box, RWD and a turbo but is only 659cc and may well fit under the bonnet.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Left field perhaps but what about a Lotus slant engine instead?
One here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1156

4 cylinder so no extra exhaust, its a slant designed to fit in a comparatively low bonnet space, supposedly 160bhp and its kind of in keeping with the image of the car. Downsides, parts are expensive, you would still need a bonnet hump to put at least the delortos in.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Slants the right way. Has the right pedigree. But as you say parts could be difficult, and maybe not the most durable engine. But then you'd not need to run it any higher than standard road tune. If one came along I'd give it a go...