Uploading photos (from an iPad)

Everything else Eleven related
Splat

Uploading photos (from an iPad)

Post by Splat »

Here’s how I do it (other methods are available). And as ever, the photos in the thread are only actually (quite large) thumbnails of the actual uploads. Clicking/tapping on the thumbnail will open the photo full res, in a new window. Useful if you actually want to read what’s in the circled portions below!

This platform will only accept images under 1MB in size. If you attempt to load anything larger, it will tell you that the image is uploading and then present you with a large box, simply saying “Error”!

And every camera since your 1990’s potato-phone takes images of far larger than that. So you need to resize your photo to under 1MB. This is pretty easy to do, using a free App. I downloaded “Image Size” from the Apple App Store:

3E34BBBA-3817-4957-A0C7-643293A7DEE4.png

It’s best to resize your photo BEFORE you try to upload it. Firstly open the Image Size app. You may have to endure 10 seconds of ads when you open it, and between each successive resize. But I only ever use this app for resizing images for this forum, so it’s no big deal!

When you’ve opened the app, click on the stack of photos, top left (circle #1). This will open your iPads photo album in a pop-up window. Select the image that you want to resize for the forum:

45A32AC6-74F4-422C-A9D3-D3243AE950EC.jpeg
The app offers you several different ways to define HOW you want the image resized. I choose to limit the pixel count (circle #2). Notice that in the image above, I’ve told the app to limit the resize to less than, or equal to, 3000 pixels (circle #3). This has resulted in the app wanting to UPSIZE the file (my cottage, being rethatched!) from 1.65MB to 2.21MB (circle #4). This is obviously no good!

So now I will alter the max pixel limit (#2) so that the output (#4) is less than 1MB:

B481E8DA-4DD9-48DB-9015-5629C36233F2.jpeg

This usually requires the pixel limit to be around the 2000 count, but with this wide-angle shot, it’s quite a bit less. Setting the limit to 1550 pixels has resulted in a file size of 940kB. That’s small enough to upload, so save the resized image to your iPads photo album by tapping the “save” button, bottom left of the app’s window.

The original image is still in its original place in your album, at full size. The resized image is stored as the latest new image in your album.
Splat

Re: Uploading photos (from an iPad)

Post by Splat »

With your image resized to less than 1MB, you can now upload it and include it in your post.

Below the window where you’re typing your text is a button marked “attachments”. Tap this button, followed by the “add file” button that it reveals. This opens you photo album yet again. Click on your resized image (the latest in your photo stream!) and click “choose”. The image will then be uploaded.

ADC8EC19-3250-4424-92ED-E008404AEFA1.jpeg

Once the image has been uploaded, a new button appears saying “place inline”. Click on the line in the text where you want to post the photo (thus leaving the cursor blinking on that line), and press the “place inline” button. The file’s address will be posted to that line.

6656FD31-1C52-4F08-8B12-80F8906CF42E.png

You can include up to three photos per post, but note that in the list of attachments , each successive image that you upload appears ABOVE the previously uploaded image. ie: the last image that you uploaded is at the TOP of the list!

It would be nice to see a few more photos on here! It’s NOT the most intuitive of hosting platforms, but it’s not THAT tricky!! Over to you all…….

BDE930C0-B2B8-4827-B3F4-1E56956507F0.jpeg
biggles

Post by biggles »

Here goes then!
68FE75D1-AE47-4D52-A6BB-078AF9746D1E.jpeg
biggles

Post by biggles »

Hooray!

That was one from The Lane, with Splat, W129 and JC in mind, as they are Renault fans (as I am, but mine is a bit slower, a 1962 750cc Quatrelle).
Splat

Post by Splat »

Uni in South Kensington in the late 80’s, and Turbo 2s were everywhere!! Now? Not seen one in the wild in forever. Scott, who used to look after my Clio V6 (in fact EVERY Clio V6 in the country, from a farm unit in the next village along from where Jon lives!) has a full rally-spec car. But that’s it. But then , they were pretty fragile even when new.

But I do know someone with a very green, race-spec R5. He may even post a snap of it……..
Splat

Post by Splat »

I SAID…..

HE MAY EVEN POST A SNAP OF IT….

……JC.