Powerflex Bushings

All things oily!
jonclancy

Re: Powerflex Bushings

Post by jonclancy »

Afternoon, Jan.

Currently not a million miles away from you! :D

Can I get this right: the washers need to be the same dia as the bush? In which case, turned down M8x25mm washers would do the job?

The bush is a tight fit in the trailing arm, but rotates around the crush tube. The thrust washers are going to contact the axle mounting/shear plates, unless they are slimenough to allow a small part of the crush tube to protube. That's what I am trying to achieve. However, with a washer that is wide diameter, as supplied by Powerflex.

I have today ordered some 1mm Nylon6 sheeting with impregnated moly to experiment with punching out my own washers.

Will report back, but more feedback would be appreciated!

Cheers
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

A larger diameter washer is OK (same diameter as the Powerflex washer) if you have the space, so that it doesn't bind on the arm and the bracket. The trick is to keep the bushing inside the arm, and the arm centered in the bracket.

The nylon/delrin washers used by Powerflex are OK as well, and they are resilient as the arm will twist within the bracket and bind. The plastic washers do give somewhat and don't bind the arm. The arms are short, and the Powerflex bushing does provide more compliance, which will result in a better ride and handling with the short W11 rear links. This is why Powerflex uses the plastic washers.

I am currently using the Powerflex bushes on just the chassis end of the arms on my early car. The front bushings do most of the flexing, and seem to free up the rear suspension enough. The standard bushings installed at the axle brackets seem to last a lot longer (now have 2000 miles on a set, which is better than the few hundred I would get with the metalistics mounted at both ends of the arms.

The Powerflex universal bushings that I am using require machining the center tube so that it fits within the axle brackets. The soft bushing element seems to be a proper fit into the arms. The plastic thrust washers maybe a bit thick. As the current setup I am using seems to be working quite well, I am not going to change this week (and I have a lot of mentalistic bushings left on the shelf).

In the front, the Metalistics seem to last for a very long time if lubricated and left with about 5 lb ft of torque so that they can rotate with the suspension arm. The tube/bolt clearance is fine to maintain proper geometry, and there is no binding, spalling, rattling or other evidence of a poor fit about the suspension bolt. My front end bushings have been in place for several years, and the front end alignment has not changed at all. Everything is still tight and accurate.

If you are in Los Angeles, perhaps we can meet and go for a ride in my '69 +8. Very exciting.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Jan,

That all makes sense. Thanks.

I have located a large punch among my collection, and will see how I get on when my sheet arrives. Hopefully tomorrow.

Yep, I’d love to have a blast in your +8. I’ll drop you an email when I’m next due in town. Probably Oct or Nov.

Cheers

Jon
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Looking forward to meeting you.

PM me for my local contact information.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

PMs sent, chaps. :D
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Have not received anything yet.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Sorry. Finger trouble. Now rectified!

BTW, spent some time yesterday with some nylon sheet, stainless washers and my pillar drill.

Not easy! I will make some roundish washers easily, but probably not using the big punch. Initial results not great. Got a 16mm punch on the way. Drilling out A2 washers with a 16.5mm drill? Forget it!

Still on the lookout for M16x1 shim washers. That would be the best bet. Now busy for a week or so, but hope to have another crack at ot next week.

Funny how a seemingly simple job grows legs! :D

PS A teaser for Tim. I saw a mocked up, dry-sump 1l Ecoboost yesterday. Still quite tall, but worth taking some measurements from, I reckon!

Edit: email sent to Paul at Powerflex to see if they can provide thinner (1mm) nylon washers to suit. We’ll get there in the end!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi All,

Well, it’s taken a while!

Unfortunately, the washers Powerflex could provide were rather pricey. Paul was extremely helpful on the phone, and it was clear that we needed nylon thrust washers for our application. Not SS, not un-washered!

The hunt continued... until...

Prism Plastics in Bicester came to the rescue! :D

http://www.prismplastics.co.uk/contact.htm

http://www.prismplastics.co.uk/spacers.htm

http://www.prismplastics.co.uk/download/sw30.pdf

Just like the Powerflex-supplied originals, but only 1mm thick. I have 100no on the way to me, and will have a go at fitting them on Thursday. Will update.

If you need all sorts of wierd and wonderful sized components, give them a try! And they were very easy to deal with, too.

Should get the new bushes fitted in time to SORN my car at the end of the month!! :lol:
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I have the 1mm thick nylon washers in my mitts now. Excellent service from Prism Plastics (Reevite).

I will have a re-attack on the fitting process once the high winds here have subsided. No room in my single garage for this work!

Looks very promising, though... :D
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

That should work. Save some for me if you can.

I will be modifying my bushings to fit the axle brackets.

Hopefully, the movement will be easy with the soft element rotating around the center tube.