Radiator

All things oily!
jonjh1964

Re: Radiator

Post by jonjh1964 »

Many thanks for the comments - looks like I'm heading n the right direction.

I'm using a Megajolt ECU that was setup by Neil Slark who set the static timing and the advance curve when tuning on his rolling road.

I've fabricated ducting for the radiator as you describe and will fit a thermostat controlled puller fan without the Westfield mounting plate.

So far I've done a couple trial fits for the oil cooler the first mounted to the chassis tube that the lower radiator bracket mounts to and the second mounted flat to the lower radiator bracket with a cut out and small duct to ensure it picks up the air flow from under the radiator duct - this is currently my preferred option.

I'll have a read of Vizard regarding oil pressure currently only an issue when very hot and idling and the relief valve appears to be working.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The simplest mount for the oil cooler is on a flat plate behind the radiator, between the crankshaft pulley and the engine.

Here is a picture of the cooler I installed in my RHD 11 build. Very simple, easy to accomplish and easily serviced if necessary.

This link should work.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wes ... 1484318540
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

About that oil pressure at idle.

The gauges may not be very accurate at the low end of the scale, so you may have more oil pressure than is indicated.

What is your idle speed? My engines have hotter cams, so they idle at about 1100~1300 RPM. This may be a factor in your low oil pressure reading. If your engine is idling at below 1000 RPM, you may want to raise it slightly.

The oil cooler may help with the oil pressure at idle somewhat. If you plumb the system with -8 lines, the oil pressure will be slightly higher than with the higher volume -10 hose.

Also note that the oil cooler will increase the oil capacity by a quart, which will result in approximately a 15F reduction in oil temperature.

My last two oil cooler revisions/installations were with -8 hose. Oil pressure was slightly higher after the installation where I replaced -10 hose with -8. No problems have been experienced. Feel free to use which ever hose you choose. My personal car now has -8 hose.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Jan, when you are changing the oil on a car with the oil cooler, do you unbolt it and lift it to drain the oil out of it or just leave it and accept all the oil isn’t changed? Cheers, Tim
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I just change the oil. Don't take anything apart.

We have good oil filters (I suspect that you have a spin on conversion), and when the filter comes off, most of the oil in the lines will be drained and well. Our oil changes are usually within 1000 or so miles (if even that), so we are not running the oil to a high mileage.

Make sure that you mount the cooler right side up (oil lines at the top) so that it fills completely and cools the oil. (I know that this sounds obvious, but, well, I have seen some unusual things...)

When you do your filter change, you might fill the filter (spin on type) with oil to reduce the time of low oil pressure on initial start up after the change.