My 11 build

Everything else Eleven related
zei220

My 11 build

Post by zei220 »

Hello Eveyone,

I thought I'd start a thread on my build. I've been waiting for my lad to finish his SDV which he has been building in my garage and will be out of there by the end of August, just in time ready for delivery of my 11 kit with the anti-roll bar and polished body options.
The story so far: I have imported an A-series engine from the states, has aluminium head and flywheel, fast road cam and has been completely rebuilt. A hif 44 carb and inlet manifold, I have the donor parts, rack, front uprights and brakes, rear axle and brakes parts from a Sprite, 3.7 diff and a type 9 gearbox. I've ordered a set of Dunlop 15" alloys from image wheels. (they are not doing the wobby webs due to lack of demand)
I'm looking for the conversion kit for the gearbox, and someone to convert the standard first gear to the long version. Also need a good LCB exhaust manifold.

Any tips and advice gratefully received.
jonjh1964

Re: My 11 build

Post by jonjh1964 »

Best wishes for the build if you have a ZEI220 it should be straight forward. The HIF44 is a tight fit under the bonnet of an Eleven and needs a manifold that's flat and has parallel flanges, I got mine from Maniflow and they have a jig to modify one of their standard Midget/Sprite manifold but you have to ask and remind them, they're also known for their LCB exhaust manifolds. Can't help you with the Type 9 I was lucky enough to have a local club member overhaul mine and fit the long 1st kit.
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Regards your Type 9 gearbox query , Westfield can supply the lot . They might not be the best on price but it all fits with no cutting and shutting , that comprises of the following ,
gearbox with long first gear / propshaft / gearbox mount / friction plate / pressure plate / release bearing . However make sure there is a gearlever ( Quickshift ) , speedo 90
degree drive and cable included , you may also have to dog them repeatedly to get delivery in a reasonable time frame .
Regards an exhaust manifold , Westfield supply a very good stainless manifold that fits not just the engine but also the installation in the car , again probably not the best on price .
If you want a bespoke exhaust " Can " try Birchall Automotive of Dudley , go on Google , they are definitely better on price than Westfield !
Regards wheels / tyres / diff / 5th gear , I have Sprite 13 inch 4 1/2j wire wheels , skinny 145 tyres , 3.9 diff , 0.82 5th gear which all equate to 22.3 mph in 5th , or if it will
pull 6000 rpm in top 133.8 mph . Enough for anybody ! ! !
Cheers and best of luck , Bob Whittaker .
biggles

Post by biggles »

BGH geartech seem very popular for tinkering with type9s....
Best of luck with the build, Tim
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

I sourced my Type 9 independently and bought the conversion kit from Westfield - it did include the quick shift and speedo cable but not the 90 deg gearbox - in the end I bought a new Smiths Electronic speedo and fitted a sensor to the rear diff/prop flange.

I found this very useful when fitting the gearbox: http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/wp ... remote.pdf
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Thanks for your comments,
I've got a call into Westfield asking about their T9 kit, lets see how complete and what it costs.

I agree with the comment regarding the electronic speedo, did you get a matching rev counter?

dave
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

did you get a matching rev counter?

Yes, fitted the original and it cut out at 2700 rpm, upgraded the electronics and then the reading was somewhat random so bought a new one and all working well driven either from the coilpack via diodes or the megajolt ECU get the same reading. The only gauge that I managed to re-use from the Midget donor is the fuel and that over reads.....
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The gearbox can come from BGH in a "Long 1st" version, which is far superior to the standard Type 9. Order the installation kit from Westfield, and the gearbox can come from either BGH or SP Components. I have used both. Don't forget to order the short throw shifter with a straight lever with your gearbox

The 3.7 diff may be a bit long with the 5.00X15 tires and the long 1st gear, but the car is light (more than 1000 lbs lighter than the car that the gearbox was mounted in originally), so it may not be a problem. You should get something like 23~25 mph/1000 RPM in 5th.

I highly recommend a clutch type LSD, such as a 3J or TranX to get rid of the inside wheel spin that your 110+ HP engine will cause mid corner to corner exit.

I build my own headers from a Maniflow LCB for a Mini, but they are not very high quality as far as the tubing goes. If Westfield had a larger bore exhaust in Stainless that fits the chassis, I would go that way. Plan on using a thee bolt flange on the exhaust or a Marmon clamp replacing the slip fitting to avoid any leaks. Your cylinder head probably has 37mm or so intake ports and larger rectangular exhaust ports, so a medium or big bore header is preferred.

Fitting that big SU may be a problem under the bonnet, but you can get a flat 6" Maniflow (Maybe with a 3/8" rise) to fit a big DCOE 45 Weber (its what I have) that will fit perfectly.

I run 4.50X14 vintage race Dunlops in front, and 5.00X15 in the rear. Rims are 5.0 and 5.5 width. I also run a set of the 13X5" minilites with 185/70/15 tires in place of the 165/13s. Note that with 15" wheels, you will need to use the specific 4.50 and 5.00 X 15 tires or they wont fit properly. The tire can't be too tall up front.

Have fun with the build.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

I've ordered the westfield kit without the gearbox.

The gearbox will be going to First Motion for the long first gear. Westfield's kit doesn't have the long first gear.

On the wheel front, I ordered 5x15 for the fronts and 6x15 for the rears, is 6" too wide?

On the suspension front, I have Protech units in 12.5" front and 14" rears lengths.
StephenH

Post by StephenH »

The exhaust manifold comes as part of the kit.