Everything else Eleven related
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Happy New Year, Folks!

Now the dust has settled after Christmas, and a very nice day over at Jan’s place (thanks Chap!), my thoughts have been turning towards this coming year of XI fun.

Jobs:

Install my new (to me) 3.7 LSD, buy some uprated half-shafts, do my rear hub seals, replace my noisy gearbox with my fresh Ken Evans spare, install a Marman flange in my exhaust pipery, replace my manifold gasket, sort out my heater tap weep, find and sort my engine oil weep.

That should get me to the CLM in early July.

What’s on your Slop Chit for this year? Anyone else (apart from Splat) off to the CLM this time around?

Cheers! :D
Westfield 129

Re: 2020

Post by Westfield 129 »

Lots of stuff...
I would love to get a set of the competition spindles, new wheels (wire or disc?' Would love to have wobbly webs, but we need 5 owners who WANT them and will pay for them. Offset/backside spacing and width are options for each buyer).

Double adjustable Protech dampers would be nice as well. Maybe a set of the narrower urethane bushings. Double bearing hubs.

You know, all the good stuff that I used on the other cars that I built.

PAINT. My car looks, well... used... The interior could use some attention as well. I have buckets, in a pile on the floor, in green with yellow piping.

That all said, it is superb, mechanically, and handles quite well. Oh, and it's fast. It will suck the headlights out of my +8 all the way to 100 mph. It is an exciting drive. I just want it to look as good as it drives.

And then, there is the '69 narrow body Morgan +8. Lots of upgrade parts. In a pile, on the bench, a set of negative camber plates, tubular rear damper conversion, new hand brake cable (I installed that yesterday), and a lovely set of stainless headers and mufflers to replace the restrictive early +8 single exhaust. ThermoTech has a new type of oil cooler that would be perfect for the Rover V8, and I have just enough metal to fab up a under cowl scoop to feed it and the radiator. The thing has a really short final drive gear and an antediluvian 4 speed Moss gearbox, so running at 80 mph at 4000 RPM. Warm oil... and water. Oh, and a Gemmer steering box, LHD.

One more thing... Yahoo has discontinued its groups and I want to find someplace to put my US/International Westfield 11 group of owners, builders and drivers.
I have all the images and data as well. If anyone has any suggestions... We have a substantial number of build images and detailed modifications.

Jon and I had a good time, despite the rain. He did get to see the Renault R5Turbo2 restoration, and hear it run.

Heater tap??? Take it off, Thread the hole in the cylinder head in NPT (I am thinking 1/8 or 1/4"), put a couple of cut down screws into the mounting holes sealed with Hondabond or Yamabond, and thread in a push on hose fitting with a hose going to the top of the return, radiator bleed, or your header tank. Oh, add this to my list of stuff to do to my own car, along with a freshening of the swirl pot filler.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Abit late, but Happy New Year everyone.

I’m booked in for the CLM.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Happy New Year everyone!

I'll be rebuilding my engine once the castings return from the machine shop; completing the wiring and hopefully having an IVA ready car by mid summer.

My challenge will then be to get the XI from its garage in the back garden to the front of the house by knocking down our brick shed an relocating all its contents (i.e. freezer) to a new locaton TBD...eek!
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

For 2020 I have the following jobs on the Eleven:
Fit a Voltage Regulator to see if I can improve the fuel gauge accuracy
Fit 2 magnets to the Diff input flange and make a new sensor bracket mount to fix the nowt over 40 mph speedo
Fit new 'original' clutch slave cylinder to try and improve the gear change - might be engine gearbox out if the SC doesn't fix it
Replace the scuttle/bonnet lip sponge with 'period' wedding and a centre DZUS fastner

but mostly getting out on the road whenever weather and work permits

I'm doing LMC2020 staying with 'Spirit of VALAN' at the airport but will be in the SEIW as I'm doing an Dusseldorf-Innsbruck NightJet Train, Alps Passes, Tarn Gorge, Millau Viaduct and Loire Valley tour the week before. I have a parade laps session booked for Saturday morning through Pistonheads/1st Tickets, something I'd recommend everyone do at least once if they can youtube videos of me at LMC2018 if you've a spare 10-20 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMCZbmQQCTE
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSViIKn3yA4 only one lap of the three I completed during each session.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Hi Jon,

I'm going to fit a new voltage stabilizer for the fuel gauge (Moss Europe part number BHA4602), which rather than using a bimetallic heating element uses 'modern electronics in a period casing) to improve reliability.

(Btw, the voltage regulator is only for cars running a dynamo (alternators have it built in) to prevent cooking the battery at higher engine revs).

Morris.
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

Morris,

The VR I'm fitting is an electronic one that regulates to 10V which is the input voltage for Smiths gauges and will only be feeding the gauges, I have a Denso 40A alternator and the VR regulates 14.6V max for battery charging.

Jon
Morris

Post by Morris »

Oh I see. I haven't got around to thinking about alternators yet.

Morris.