Race Report - Donington 1/2 Sept

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Race Report - Donington 1/2 Sept

Post by erictharg »

Double header at Donington this last weekend. Practice and Race 1 Saturday, overnight stay then second race Sunday morning.
Wasn't much to do to the car after Anglesey - just a quick check over. All seemed well.
Weather was good - cloudy and mild but dry. And no strong winds to send the gazebo into orbit. Right on the limit for noise at 105. Looks as if the new cam means I really will have to find a better silencer. The original one was always marginal. Practice went OK other than having the MR2's out there with us. They seem to treat practice as another race - no respect for anyone else, so very hard to get a decent lap. I noticed just as the chequered flag came out for the end of the session my temperature was up towards 90 degC. Worrying. Once back in the paddock the reason was clear. The 42 year old heater take off valve at the back of the head had worked loose and was letting water out. It was not for tightening as the thread between the two parts had all but disappeared due to corrosion. After a bit if head scratching the only option was to clean it all up and mix some epoxy. I had three hours to the race so let it set well and then gingerly bolted it back on the head. Ran the engine up and it was fine. Phew! One piece take off on order already (as fitted to later model Mini's).
Also ran out of adjustment on the RH rear brake. Shoes are pretty fresh so I guess its the adjuster wedges that are worn. Meant I had to pump the brakes for each corner. Another good reason to avoid braking then. There are only two hard braking spots at Donny for me - into the chicane, and then at the end of the start finish straight into Redgate. Every where else is gentle prod. Had some funny comments from the Eclipse team who were next to me whilst messing with the brakes. Don't think they'd ever seen drum brakes before!
Ended up three from the back of the grid. No green flag lap for the first race so straight off. Mindful to keep the revs over 4000 so it didn't bog down I overcooked it and had wheelspin in first then clutch slip in second. Hmmm. Clutch uprate over the winter I think. Worked OK during the rest of the race though.
Stayed in front of the Phoenix I beat at Anglesey and ended up dicing with an MX5 based Atom-alike thing. Neck and neck for a couple of laps but eventually he got past. Should think so with 150 hp! Rest of the race kept the Phoenix behind me but there were a couple of incidents between the GT40 and the big block Dax Cobra meaning I caught them up and clung onto them for half a lap. Nice whilst it lasted!
Finished ahead of the Phoenix, so happy to beat someone.
Back in the paddock I had a lot of oil over the front of the car. Turns out it may have been the GT40 which not only holed its rad but ended up with the engine blowing oil. Heater tap bodge held up fine.
Race two on the Sunday did have a green flag lap. I messed up the start as I forgot how soon after we get back to the grid the lights go on. Still managed to beat the Phoenix through the first corner though, and kept him behind me, but it was close towards the end with him breathing down my neck on the last lap.
New experience as I exited into the pit lane - one of the stewards pulled me over and said very tersely: "Go to race control - now". So off I trailed, feeling like a naughty schoolboy wondering what on earth I'd done wrong. Turned out they just wanted to ask if I could confirm that I was overtaken by two cars under a yellow flag. I could remember them lapping me but couldn't be sure if the flag was out. I heard them calling for one of the drivers later on so I guess he had his arse kicked.
So, on balance a successful weekend. I've noticed more oil than usual around the gearlever, blowing up from the transmission tunnel, so need to check that out. 6 weeks to Mallory though (14th Oct) and confirmed I'm in the SR&GT team for the Birkett on the 28th Oct.
I just need some more Class D cars out there. Come on Matthew - you know it makes sense! We won't even make you put the distributor back on...
It would be so good to have few more Elevens out there racing. Imagine a team of 4 or 5 at an event. That dream may not be too far off. Ken Culverwell (who raced an Eleven for 18 years) now wants to build another one, hopefully to have out next year. Fingers crossed.
adamwilkinson

Re: Race Report - Donington 1/2 Sept

Post by adamwilkinson »

Sounds like you had fun charles.

I still run a standard clutch plate which survives with the 8" rims.

Ken coming out in an 11 again? Might have to try and come out more if he does just to annoy him again - he had many excuses as to why he was slower then me...
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

The clutch works fine during the race - just seemed like it was slipping off the line. It could have just as easily been wheelspin (no lsd) and just a healthy "whiff" of clutch lining. Won't spend any money yet!
I was hoping Ken coming out would tempt you next year!
Mind you he's talking MX5 engine, but I suspect you'll still have the better of him, at least initially.
Three Elevens out there would be a good start!
He plans to target mainly endurance events, but would include Spa for sure.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Nice report, Charles.

There was talk of a WSC Series for the XI some time ago, IIRC. What happened to that?

An approved ROPS would make the conversion from road to track a bit easier, I suppose. Just a question of finding the five grand a season to race!! :cry:
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

They did try to run a Westfield race series in 2010 but it never got enough support. I meant to try it but it had disappeared before I could. My loyalties had to lie with SR&GT.
The ROPS question has never raised its head on my car. It looks like an "older" car, and the design and construction is obviously OK for the scrutineers, so it suits me!
I'll offer you no end of help if you want to race Jon. Getting lonely out there! Seriously, if you are thinking about it let me know. Better still come along to Mallory or the Birkett.
The £5k a season is about right sad to say.
Still, as they say: "Could be worse!"
Could be racing in an expensive series! Ha ha ha.
Thoughts going back to an alternative engine for the future, having squeezed as much from the A series as I can afford without getting too exotic. Crossflow seems the obvious choice (can't do a modern engine - just not right). But Dolomite Sprint still needs exploring...need to measure one up. A better bet than the Lotus 907. Albeit heavier.