Race Report - Mallory 14 Oct 2012

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Race Report - Mallory 14 Oct 2012

Post by erictharg »

An interesting day! Weather was as promised by the forecast - dry and sunny. At least until about 3pm which was long after my race. The usual noise test before practice confirmed the new Jetex silencer is exactly the same as the factory item. More work needed. Practice was fine. Car ran well but track busy and lots of folks seem to forget it is "practice" and not the race. Got a couple of half reasonable laps in though. Back of the grid, but only 0.5 second behind Peter Smith's Ginetta G20 confirming the car is much quicker than it has been for some time. Unusually there were 4 class D cars entered. The two Ginetta's of Peter and Matt Smith, and Paul Richardson's Tiger 23 replica. Not going to be my usual "just finish for a class win" today.
Blinder of a start - best ever. Just got everything right and shot off right past the other 3 Class D cars. I don't practice starts out of respect for the drivetrain, but boy it can launch well when you get it right! Nearly hit Cheng who had stalled his Cobra (new clutch) on the grid. Had Matt Smith right behind my through Gerrards for the first time and he passed me going into the Esses. Still had the other two cars behind me but Paul Richardson came past on the start finish straight. He has a lot of straight line speed (hmmm?) for a Class D car. But then as I come out of Gerrards on lap 2 I see him in the barrier. Next thing I know I see two other cars (Matt Smith's Ginetta and one of the Eclipse's) in the barrier going into the Esses and just as that registers I'm spinning too. Time slows, the world goes around quickly, and luckily I finish my 360 on the grass away from the wall. Phew! Into second and carefully rejoin just in time to see the red flag come out. Cruise around to the grid for a re-start and let the heart rate ease off. Someone had dropped a lot of oil going into the Esses, causing the Ginetta and the Eclipse to hit the barrier and my spin. Paul Richardson had been overtaking Matt Smith around the otuside of Gerrards and got two wheels on the grass, flicking him across the track into the barrier. Restart went OK and I drove the rest of the race at 9/10th's once I realised I was not going to catch Peter Smith, and mindful of the Birkett in two weeks time.
So, car going well. Looking forward to the Birkett relay on the 27th and already planning what I'll do to the car over the winter. Just a little bit more from either me or the car and we'll be matching the Ginetta's.
adamwilkinson

Re: Race Report - Mallory 14 Oct 2012

Post by adamwilkinson »

Ahh so thats what happened to Matt. i saw the results and assumed there had been an incident.

Sounds like you had fun, i really must stop reading these reports as its making me want to come out and play!
I'll definately be doing one next year (other than Spa), gotta test the new developments...

What day is the Birkett?
I might try and come along if I'm free
erictharg

Re: Race Report - Mallory 14 Oct 2012

Post by erictharg »

Birkett is Sat 27th Oct. If you fancy it let me know as I'll likely have a couple of tickets spare.
Cheng is talking about having fewer sprint 750MC events next year and more of the longer invitiation events. So as well as Spa maybe the 360MC events plus the usual allcomers with the Bentley and Aston boys. Suits me - I'd sooner do 6 or 7 longer races than 10 or 12 sprint events. Might even get to do the Spa 6 hour weekend. Ken loved it.