Rockingham July 13/14

Racing and trackday chat
erictharg

Rockingham July 13/14

Post by erictharg »

Good weather, obviously. 28 deg plus on Saturday. Two sprint races with the Sports Specials this time (13 mins plus one lap each). Somewhat depleted SR&GT field. Myself, Mark Bowd's GT40, Martin Tyman's Taydec, John Plant's Allard, Matt and Peter Smith in their Ginetta's plus one of the newcomer MGB GT V8's.
Practice was good as I've track day'd twice at Rocky so know it fairly well. Car running well, slipping and sliding around the infield, gasping for breath flat out on the oval section. Did a best of 1:50 which put three cars behind me on the grid.
Race one I got a good start and made up a few places, and ended up just in front of Matt Smith. He drives in British GT's so I was not confident of keeping him there. Went a bit too fast into Gracelands first time and got very sideways. Had to shuffle the wheel in my hands rally style to get it back. But it did come back and Matt did not pass - obviously worried about where I might have ended up! Then we were red flagged due to a dead Sport's Special stuck on the track. Restart was also good, but this time Matt got past me and I spent most of the race chasing him and almost getting past when he stumbled coming out of right handers - but never quite enough. Ended up with five behind me, which is a good result in my book.
Race two on Sunday was cooler, and whilst I got another good start I was reeled in one by one, ending up last man. Car was running fine but maybe everyone else was running better having had one race there. I also think I was holding back a little thinking of Spa in September.
A good weekend though and nice to only have to drive 25 mins home. Good to see Matthew and family there. Shame that young James's attempts to blast the other drivers with his game pad didn't work.
Thinking I won't do the August Silverstone event but instead save the car for Spa at the end of September. Oozing a lot of oil now (although no one obvious source) so plan to pull the engine and replace front crank seal and a fresh clutch plate. Also rebuild the gearbox with new bearings, seals and synchro rings.
Had a local hero (thanks Martin the dentist) offer me a new set of the 450M13's he'd bought, but not used, for £90 each vs the usual £120 plus VAT so should have fresh tyres too. Just received the Flowmaster HP2 silencer from DT. So all about getting ready for Spa, and beyond that the new Historic Birkett at Snetterton on the 3rd Nov for which an SR&GT team will be eligible (if we exclude our fastest cars).
adamwilkinson

Re: Rockingham July 13/14

Post by adamwilkinson »

I was looking forward to getting out on track with you at silverstone!

Might have to see if I can twist allymally's arm into entering...
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Given the cost of doing Spa I really can't stretch to Silverstone too. Plus I'm running on borrowed time with the engine. It's showing no signs of distress, but every hour clocked up gets me closer to something...

I will come to Silverstone to watch / make tea etc.

How are things on the Wilkinson Jr front?
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Junior is being stubborn and not coming out, 5 days over so far!
Jo is melting in the heat.