Westfield 11 Build Covered in the Yahoo Eleven Group

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Westfield 11 Build Covered in the Yahoo Eleven Group

Post by Westfield 129 »

If you are interested in following my W11 build, it is covered on the Yahoo Westfield_Eleven Group. Lots of pictures under "The Last XI".

If there are any detail photos that you might like, I can always add them to the gallery.

This particular RHD chassis has been equipped with twin brake master cylinders with remote reservoirs, Westfield a bias bar brake pedal, 15" wire wheels (5" wide front, 5.5" wide, center laced in the rear), TranX LSD, double bearing hubs, Peter May axles, modified Maniflow exhaust header, and a very interesting double pass racing radiator that is about 1/3rd the weight of the stock cross flow but 3X the cooling capacity. The engine is a 1380 with 10.6"1 compression, Longman cylinder head, scatter cam, and a 45 DCOE.

The build is about a month and a half along. The rolling chassis came off the work stands last night. Engine installation should be next week. The thing would be finished by now if not for the delays in acquiring the CR T9 with the "Long 1st" gear set, and a globe trotting LSD.
techbod
Site Admin

Re: Westfield 11 Build Covered in the Yahoo Eleven Group

Post by techbod »

Thanks for posting that. I will be following with interest and looking for pointers.

I've started photographing original Lotus Elevens' when the opportunity presents itself (ie parked up with the clams removed :D ) as possible reference points for the future but obviously still have a huge gap in my knowledge, so your info is all very useful.

cheers
Westfield 129

Re: Westfield 11 Build Covered in the Yahoo Eleven Group

Post by Westfield 129 »

While looking at original 11s is helpful, there are some differences in the chassis layout. What you really want to look at is the under body aerodynamics.

Look at the ducting for the radiator, and the panels over the front suspension. The interior of the bonnet is also significant. The entire under chassis should be paneled. It's a significant amount of extra work.

One significant difference in the chassis is the dropped steel floor. I am sort of partial to my early car with its flat alloy floor, as the original 11 had.

I am leaving out the rear wheel inner arches, as they get in the way of servicing the rear brakes. The front inner panels and splash guards are just ugly in plastic. Those parts should be part of the bonnet, and riveted in.

The panel is easy. I will have all the parts listed to do a proper original instrument panel, including the switches. These come from UK suppliers.

I am spending a lot of time on the performance and reliability, using technology that is pretty much late '50s. Stronger axles, a clutch type LSD, cam, compression and carburation. No fuel injection, no crank fire ignition. I am still looking for some super dampers to replace the sorry units that are supplied with the kit.