15" wheels

All things oily!
sgrant

Re: 15" wheels

Post by sgrant »

For anyone about to build/rebuild an eleven, Lotus or Westfield, the link below should be required viewing, for inspirational purposes...

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/iko ... =3;t=59115

stephen
chappy996

Post by chappy996 »

Once I get closer to the time, I will indeed start a 'Chappy's Build' thread.

I had previously seen that beautiful blue car - thanks for the link Stephen. I am a Steve too, so perhaps it's best I remain as Chappy!

I have various 'associates' looking out for a basket-case Midget. I have also seen on the Midget Owners' site a few 'tax-exempt' V5s for sale. I did consider this on the basis that it would allow me to source the parts separately and spare me the aggro of having a bodyshell to get rid of. However, a very useful chat with Mark Walker at Westfield showed that this was perhaps not the best idea, and that to prove a donor/amateur build I should photograph all stages of the donor dismantling and XI build-up.

Ultimately, I could build everything from 'new' except the engine (you are allowed one major refurbed element) and go for a current plate, then buy an 'old' plate to put on it. I had a GT40 and a Cobra that were both built 'new' but with older rebuilt engines - it gets around the emissions rules. My only fear would be getting a Q plate - which is an absolute no-no!

Today, I am thinking Navy blue............
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

As an alternative to wires, if only there was a way to fit wobbly wheels on the midget PDC....

http://www.lotusracer.com/index.php?section=1

That's another georgeous colour scheme...

stephen
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Beware - that Lotus Racer website appears to be infected with a virus. I clicked on the contacts link and immediately got a string of messages from my AV system. Had to do a system restore to get rid of it. So, llook but don't click on anything!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

One of the things about the W11 is that there is not much room for wider wheels.

14" wheels leave very few choices, and none of them are the right diameter 15s are the way to go, using the original sizes, 5.00 X15 rear, 4.50X15 front. These are the only tires that really fit. I would not fit 14s, as none are the right width, or height.

Off the shelf wire wheels from MWS work fine on the Spridget hubs. If you want to get creative, and have a WIRE WHEEL AXLE HOUSING from your donor, you can use a Triumph TR6 center laced wheel in the rear at a 5.5" width, and have an extra inch of track width. It all fits beneath the rear clam shell. I have this setup on my new RHD car. If you have a disc wheel axle housing, you can't use this wheel. Too much offset. But you can use a 5.5" standard laced wheel, which wont fit on a car that has a wire wheel axle housing. Confusing? Not so much. Contact me directly for more information if you get that far.

If all you need is a legal tread, the Dunlop vintage race tires work well, even in the wet. Though they are expensive, they do last several times longer on the 1,200 lb, 120 HP W11 then they do on a D Type. In fact, you will probably have to replace the tires for cracking or tread hardening before you wear them out.

It is possible to fit 5.5X15 Minilites all the way around, but the fronts will have to be machined to about a 105 mm backspace. It may be possible to run a 6" wide minilite in the rear as well. I have not checked the backside spacing for a 15X6" Minilite yet.

Wobbly Webs would be best, but you need to have a 6 bolt hub made up, and the cost is really expensive. I have researched this extensively, including making up a new wobbly web center for a two piece wheel, drilled for the Spridget. Not yet cost effective. Minilites and wire wheels are about the only reasonable way to get to the 15s and the Dunlops.

Westfield has discontinued the W11, so if you are thinking of obtaining a car, you will need to pick up one already built, or find someone who has a kit that they can't finish.
chappy996

Post by chappy996 »

Slight correction there Westfield 129 - there are 5 WXI's being made in 2011, 4 are now spoken for (one by me) and there is still one left if you want it!

The batch of 5 will be ready for collection December this year.

Thanks for the 15" wheel info.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I already have one of the "last" 5 (they were all bound for the US). My RHD kit was built/crated in early April, and arrived 30/May (It arrived a week and a half early). I picked it up at the docks personally (and missing parts arrived for the next month). Mine was supposed to be the very last, but evidently, there was another that was to be delivered in September. Obviously, the total build for the year was far more than 5 cars, and likely more than 10. Perhaps as many as 20, considering the number we are getting here (More than 7, I was told). We keep hearing that they are making the "last" (I was told mine was absolutely the "last"), but evidently, it was not the case. I guess this explains why we are still getting delivery dates for cars in the US. If you are getting a car in December, then they are building far more than the original order for 5 or 10 that was filled back in March/April. Don't be surprised if your car is a month or three late. They tend to delay if they think that there will be more orders.

And they said in 06 that they were only going to build 50...

Mine's nearly finished. The build is covered on the Westfield_eleven site in Yahoo groups. Lots of pictures. I made some changes, installing the twin master cylinder brake setup with a Westfield bias bar brake pedal (instead of the mushy tandem cylinder), remote reservoirs, and a completely new cooling system and duct. I would have it done by now but for delays with my fabricator, an ME student balancing my demands against Mid Terms. Graduation in December.

The last of the cars bound for the US should be in the new owner's hands by now.

Official word is that there wont be any more unless there is a large order of 10 chassis or more. Westfield no longer makes the chassis, as they have switched to an outside contractor, and a batch build process. It could be that there will be more, and that the "official" demise of the W11 was an exaggeration.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

The Westfield website currently says; "Due to continued overwhelming interest Westfield Sports Cars have decided to manufacture another batch of the iconic Westfield XI kits.", doesn't seem to preclude the possibility if the demand continues, so will the batches of kits.

It might take a year to go say 10 orders so they can get the chassis done as W129 says, but (batch) production could continue for a while then?
Pluscat

Post by Pluscat »

Guys, I don't know if you have noticed, but there is a crisis going on. Carsales are low, kitcars including. Carmanufacturors, especialy small manufacturors, can't afford to say "no" to an order. If they can sell a car, they will.
I bet that they will make as many XI's as they can sell.....
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I agree. They'll just want to be sure of getting enough orders to make the parts they buy in a sensible price rather than buying in one's and two's.