Front wheel bearings

All things oily!
Splat

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by Splat »

Bench top vice and a couple of small pieces of plywood to protect from the knurled jaw-faces. Lightly oil the contact surfaces and wind in. Dead simple.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I use a parallel pin punch and tap around the outside of the outer race to fit them. But the vice method is fine. Just make sure they are started square before pressing too hard! Also ensure that are fitted the right way around and that you don't forget the spacer after fitting the outer bearing, and before fitting the inner. Being angular contact each race has a shoulder to take the axial thrust. The shoulder of the inner races must be fitted facing towards the outside of the hub - i.e. away from the spacer. It's pretty obvious when you look at the bearings but I'm sure some people get it wrong. IIRC the side of the bearings that has the part numbers etc etched on them should be facing each other when fitted.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hurrah for Engineers Mate - bearings arrived today!! :D

When I was asking about delivery estimate, the chap commnented that someone else had ordered these unusual bearings. Ah, yes, I said... and explained. If you could offer a kit at reasonable price, you could corner the market, I reckon.

I've had a quick look and they seem to be absolutely top quality.

Neet to finish some fencing right now, before I get to the XI.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hubs off. Actually, I didn't need the puller - the main nut unwound easily once the split-pin was removed and the hub slipped off.

While cleaning out some excess grease, the inner bearing fell out - in one piece. The spacer and spindle look OK, but I will measure the spacer at the very least.

Off to get some brake cleaner to get the whole lot tidied up and can inspect the bearings.

More later.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Not good news, I'm afraid.

Unless I'm mistaken, the inner bearing should be a "fit" into the hub. Both the old and new bearing drop in and out. The old oil seal is worn to metal and the spacer is a bit battered (but still as near as you like to 1.5").

The wire wheel hub I dismantled didn't even have a spacer in it - and I'm sure it needs one!

A bit of research indicates that wear to the hub bore, to the point of a loose bearing, is a common problem. Steel wheel hubs do not seem to be readily available, unlike wire wheel hubs. I'm on the lookout for a spare at a reasonable price, but Icould have mine sleeved and machined, I suppose.

All in all, not a brilliant day's work. The car is on blocks now and it'll be a week or so until I can get back to working on in. At least I have a bit of time to get my parts ordered, but it has thrown a spanner in the works for the run up to Rockingham. :cry:
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

I can confirm that the wire wheel hub should also have a spacer. Mine didn't originally which is why I went through bearings at a rate of knots!

Can't help with a steel wheel hub I'm afraid (nor wire wheel either!).

Is Mr Tharg going to be the only XI at this XI gathering!!!

Mine is on the road but doesn't have 3 seats!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

My wire wheel hubs have a spacer, and shims to set the spindle nut torque and bearing preload.

I have had a couple of rear hubs worn to the point where they would not retain the bearings. I keep a couple of spares for when this happens. This evidently occurred prior to my owning the car, as the rear wheel bearings spun in the hub. After repeated bearing replacements, I finally had to replace the rear hub.

I can't really believe that the bearings would be anything but a press fit, unless the bearings were the wrong size. I have never had a problem with bearing fit in the front hubs, stud or spline drive. BTW, both use the same spacers and bearings.

I have a new set of hubs I can check if you need an inside diameter measurement to check against your old hubs.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the offer, but it won't be necessary as it's clear the hub is worn out of tolerances. I guess it's had some use on a couple of track days and some spirited local driving. And that's exactly what one needs to do with an Eleven!! :D

A plan is developing and hopefully I'll be able to replace the offending item in the next fortnight or so.

Cheers

Jon
Splat

Post by Splat »

Do you need hubs, Jon? I have spare steel-wheel units. pm me if you wish........

ps, I need a pair of good w/w front hubs. Anybody?