RIP Westfield Eleven

Everything else Eleven related
sgrant

RIP Westfield Eleven

Post by sgrant »

Confirmation:
http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/XI.html

I guess the guy from Westfield who told me they would still be making it in annual batches wasn't being entirely truthful then.

stephen
erictharg

Re: RIP Westfield Eleven

Post by erictharg »

As discussed. Time to start thinking about who acquires the moulds and fixtures and when...

If we don't put together a UK plan my guess is that Mannik will try to acquire. That's fine until one of us needs a new bonnet moulding and it's $1000 for the moulding and another $1000 to get it here. Or we do a deal with him where we can take a buck off each mould to make our own then send him the originals. Anyone have space to store some pretty big moulds?
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Yes possibly in the short term (say up to 18 months) especially if they might be used to produce spares.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

My understanding (gleaned from various TVR threads and also the never ending threads on the Caterham 21) is that the manufacturer has a legal obligation to provide spares for a number of years. Having said that, if we think there is a possibility that the molds (moulds?) will disappear abroad, I am happy to arrange local collection and storage of whatever we need, at my expense, assuming Westfield were interested. The only caveat being that I don't then want to assume Westfield's legal responsibility to provide spares!

Before we panic too much though, remember that the bodywork was certainly put together outside of Westfield (I'm about 30% sure that the moulds were made by the bloke who went on to set up shapecraft - www.shapecraft.com), so there may be an independent route to getting panels replaced, etc. I'm very happy to donate my spare rear clam if someone wants to make a buck from it!!

Charles - apart from the body, the chassis, the perspex, the seats, what is westfield-specific?

Maybe now is the time to consider going ali-bodied :P

stephen
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

The only bits that are difficult to reproduce are the GRP mouldings and the perspex bits. Everything else is easy to copy. Chassis, suspension - no problems.
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Not quite then chaps:

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/N ... cle74.html

looks like its not quite finished with yet....