Spa is on!

Everything else Eleven related
erictharg

Spa is on!

Post by erictharg »

Received confirmation of my entry to the Spa Summer Classic (10 to 12 June). Check out www.roadbook.be for details. My race is the Spa-Ardennes Challenge. Plan on driving there, of course. It looks significantly closer than Le Mans. 61 minute race means I'd better do more than just think about getting fitter again. Plus, can I make it with just one fuel stop?? Lots to think about...Anyone fancy coming over? All the races are Historic so should be a good event to spectate at.
techbod
Site Admin

Re: Spa is on!

Post by techbod »

SWMBO is doing an-all-night-walking-marathon in Edinburgh that weekend so I'm guessing that I might be expected to be supporting. But (grammer) on the off chance I'll broach the subject - I've never been to Spa.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgnC9WO ... re=related

Link is one of 4 Youtube posts by Adam Wilkinson of racing his Eleven at Spa last year. Very kind of him to post and instructional video for me to follow. He doesn't half reel those cars in...911, Mustang, D Type etc. Impressive stuff.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

You can see his bonnet flapping around alot at speed. Its seems to more from the front though , rather than lifting from the trailing edge to 'vent'.
What's that he overtakes at about 8:30? Its hard to tell from those shots. Not a Peerless/Warwick by any chance?
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

techbod wrote:
> You can see his bonnet flapping around alot at speed. Its seems to more
> from the front though , rather than lifting from the trailing edge to
> 'vent'.
> What's that he overtakes at about 8:30? Its hard to tell from those shots.
> Not a Peerless/Warwick by any chance?

Hi,

Just found this site. Yes our bonnet does lift at speed, this is due to the front brackets being slightly larger to enable us to remove the bonnet easier. It could also be due to the bonnet being ridiculously light (1 lay-up of woven cloth) and the fact we dont run lights on the front.

The car goes well, 3.04's at Spa, aiming for the 3min barrier next year, and we're still running a 1275 midget engine.

Adam
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Good to hear from you Adam. How are the wedding and house plans coming on?
Spa was epic, as you'll see from the write up - but then you been there too, so know that!
Overtaking Cheng in John Dickson's Esprit was a once in a lifetime experiecne I suspect!
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Hi Charles

The wedding went well thank you, cant believe its been a month already!

Thought you might like to see photos of your car in action at Spa - not sure if you've seen this site http://www.thepicture.eu/en/get/car/40/45254. I bought pictures from her last year.

Adam
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Nice - hadn't seen those. A mile off the apex at La Source! So, congratulations and hope things go well for the two of you. I bought some Spa pics off some other guy - bloody expensive, just like everything else in motorsport, but good pics.
All the crew are talking about the 6 hour meeting in Sept but I can't see any way of affording it this time around. Maybe next year...
Car going flat at 6500 at Donington - feels like I've gone through my first set of valve springs. And eating rear shoes. Resisting going to discs though unless I can bodge a low cost conversion, and keep a handbrake.
Love the ACB 9 tyres - probably slower than the A048's, but sooo much more fun. Need to scrounge some more from the Historic FF crowd. Hope to see you out there soon.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

I've a feeling the elevens arent eligible for the 6hr race. something to do with being classed as sports prototypes by the begiums.

Obviously you know we are running discs on the rear, complete with handbrake mechanism although this is no longer cable operated as we've gone for a fly-off hydraulic jobbie. I've never driven the eleven without disks on the rear so can not comment but I've raced 7's with drums on the rear and never had an issue with them even on standard compound material. I've even gone back to standard compound material pads on the eleven due to the 'track' pads crumbling after a couple of races. Theres so little weight over the rear that theres very little need for anything special.

I love the fact that you're running on 5.5" rims, must be a hoot to drive. Makes ours sound over tyred running 6" on the front and 8" on the rear :)
Last edited by adamwilkinson on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Forgot to add, are you running double valve springs?
How many miles have you done on this engine build?