New Owner!

Everything else Eleven related
jonclancy

New Owner!

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Guys,

Today, I took stewardship of No42, TonyL's Eleven. It hasn't sunk in, to be honest, and our dining room carpet is invisible under the boxes of spares.

The intention is to run No42 for a year until the direction I'm going to take her in crystallises. I've got a pretty good idea of the outline, but the detail needs to be unrushed.

Tony, thanks for being such a gent. It must have been bloody awful seeing Trev take her away for delivery.

For me, this is a 25 year itch about to be scratched.

Anyone interested in a fabulous 2007 SEiW?

Jon
erictharg

Re: New Owner!

Post by erictharg »

Welcome to this small but perfectly formed group Jon. Tell us about your car and where you are based. Look forward to catching up with you sometime in 2012.
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Welcome aboard!
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Hi Jon,

nice of you to drop in :) Welcome to the forum.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Thanks very much!

I coaxed No42 into life a couple of days ago - she had been SORNed for a while. Lovely baritone exhaust note from such a tiny lump! :D

I need to install some bonnet fixings before I take her for an MOT and get her on the road. What clamshell fastening solutions are in favour at the moment, please? I assume I can get any parts I would need through the Factory?

If anyone is able to take some detailed photos of their front clamshell fasteners (and front mounting brackets), I'd be most grateful!

I'll find out next month if I have been successful in getting time off for the Revival. I'm hoping to go down with No42 for a day or even two.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum.

My bonnet is (well, was; currently it's in a thousand shards of GRP) held on by 4 dzus fasteners, and I had a metal bar fixed into the underside of the bonnet up by the scuttle, to strenthen it. This fixed it all very well without any high-speed flapping about. I've seen others use leather straps on the side (which look nice) and I've also seen air vents on the top back of the bonnet, to relieve the pressure that builds up on the underside of the bonnet. The bonnet should sit on a bar at the very front of the chassis and westfield make two suitably-shaped lumps of metal that allow the bonnet to pivot on the metal bar. I can't take any photos at the moment, since my car is with Westfield being rebuilt, but someone else will be along shortly......

You can see where the dzus fasteners fit on the banner photo at the top of this page (that's my car). Since my car was factory-built, I guess that's the default Westfield way of doing it....

s
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Having a car with Dzus fasterners (the new chassis), and one with Terry Springs (the now 30 yr old chassis). I favor the Terry Springs, as they are quick and easy to attach. Also, they give a perfect place to attach a string to hold the bonnet open in the over center position for working on the engine. No prop required.

The Dzus can be difficult to position, especially if it gets hot out, and the bonnet expands. Terry Springs always fit.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

One other advantage:

If the nose is hit, the Terry Springs give, and usually will save the bonnet in one piece, rather than having it rip apart, along with the alloy attach points at the bodywork.

Something else to think about.