Door Fitting

All things oily!
jonclancy

Door Fitting

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Everyone,

I am advancing slowly on a few fronts with the XI.

My Superseal connectors for the rear lamps have arrived and will be fitted at some time in the near future.

I have pretty much polished out the door hinge area (and much of the pontoons as well - at least to a shine, but some extra elbow grease is required for a mirror finish) and have the new door catches and mirror mounting here.

Before I let rip with the drill, does anyone have any top tips regarding fitting the doors please? I have the manual to refer to and Russ (WSC Parts) mentioned that the catch bolt goes straight into the bulkhead.

Just these jobs and the front clamshell catches to fit and I'll be ready for MOT - September probably!! :o
Westfield 129

Re: Door Fitting

Post by Westfield 129 »

Door fit? Well, install the bodywork, and do your best to get them in straight.

Have fun...

You will have to install some washers to keep the latch pins from damaging the bodywork. It's best if the latch pins riding in metal, rather than polyester. Fender washers (large diameter, small hole) will work best. Grind them to fit, and rivet them into the scuttle.

Or, use Terry Springs, as my early car has.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Luckily, it's just a case of riveting them back into place. I have a selection of rivets from the factory. Perusing the manual again, it mentions CSK rivets (I have some as well as normal rivets), but doesn't mention whether there were washers behind the glassfibre door moulding or whether the piano hinge was riveted directly.

If some kind soul was able to post or email me a couple of photos of their door hinge (door open) and lock, that would be very helpful - thanks. I'd rather get it right fist time and not have to drill out the rivets again!!! :o

Many thanks

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Here's a quick update:

I have had the doors and Plexiglas inside for a clean and have polished the piano hinges. Some M5 stainless fasteners are on the way, and these will have a buffing before being used to fit the passenger door side screen.

I have rivetted the passenger door in place using the smaller ally and the CSK rivets. It's a neat job, but the boor feels like it'll need a little pressure to hold it in the correct position for good shut-lines. I feel that the WSC catches should do the job here, and that the door will eventually conform!! It's not too far off, tbh, around 5mm.

A photo of the lock assy would be very much appreciated please!! :)

Cheers

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Update: Both doors now fitted. Just locks, stops and Perspex catches to fit. I think the door lock could be a bit of a pain, so any tips welcomed please! ;)

Looking the part now - a little heart jolt every time I walk into the garage. It's a beautiful car...
jonclancy

Lamp fitting now!

Post by jonclancy »

Update:

All the new lamp units have Superseal connectors crimped on now. One set of tail/stop and indicator lamps are installed and wired in. The other two lamps will be installed tomorrow. I had an odd extra black wire in the loom that didn't seem to connect to anything (including its other brother on the opposite side). Although connected in tandem to the black GND wire, they did not test continuity to earth. I decided not to use them. The other black ground wires show continuity to earth, and, of course, those are the ones I am using.

I am going to fit the door straps tomorrow as well - if anything, to make sure an accident doesn't happen if I brush past a door and knock it open. The door catch is going to be left for a few days while I devise a method for marking out and installing it - measure twice and cut once etc etc.

With all this rain, I'm not feeling too bad about not yet being on the road. I'm not that far off, mind you. I do want to change the brake fluid and re-set the steering rack locks before the test.

Cheers

Jon
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Jon - if no-one else has sent you a photo of the lock assembly (c'mon, *someone* help him out!), I believe that my car should be back with me in a week or so (yup, they are still mending it from the crash in November!!), and I'll post up some photos as soon as it comes home...

stephen
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

I haven't got any photos of mine, plus the bolt fitting is mostly hidden by the door anyway.

I did speak to a chap with a newly finished Eleven that has fitted some neat two stage slam catches from CBS though. Very nice and you may be able to IVA with the doors on!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Guys,

The slam catches sound like they are worth a look. The simple bolts were expensive enough from WSC, but I don't mind investing in a "better" solution.

I have just finished fitting the AMP Superseals to the other two rear lamps. You know what that black wire was? Yup, a random "doubling up" for the LH rear indicator earth. I'm going to splice into the loom and solder a joint in there to sort that problem. ;) I thought I was going to have some pics to post of my new, lit, rear end!! :D

Cheers

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I have found the Mini Bear Claw catches on page 28 of the current CBS catalogue.

http://www.nfauto.co.uk

I was going to order some, but I think it may be prudent to try and track down someone who has already fitted them and see what approach they took (better than a re-stocking fee if I chose the wrong model etc). These look like a better option than the factory spring-bolts. I like the idea of a pull-string operation, too.

Having been away for the past few days, I have revisited the lights. Two new, soldered, ground connections, some fettling to the fog light feed, and tracking down a mis-made Lucas lamp holder :twisted: and I now have a FULL set of working lamps. A good afternoon's work. I want to change a couple of the remaining bullet connectors for AMP Superseal and then bond on a couple of extra loom clips - a new Positive battery lead fitting to be crimped on and that's that lot sorted.