memories of a dark blue westy at Brands...

Everything else Eleven related
biggles

memories of a dark blue westy at Brands...

Post by biggles »

a few years (probably about 3) I had a great day of spectating at Brands, particularly enjoying the SR&GT. I have distinct memories of chatting to the owners/drivers of a dark blue westy eleven in the paddock. Might even have been a father and son team effort? In the race the westy spun on Paddock Hill bend and I think was collected by someone else leading to a bit of drivers side front damage and I think a retirement because of being hit.

Was that anyone on here or is my 42 year old brain having a senior moment!!?

biggles
adamwilkinson

Re: memories of a dark blue westy at Brands...

Post by adamwilkinson »

That was me, car is brg not dark blue though ;-)
The car is owned by my uncle but i drive it. I remember that race well, went slightly wide and nearside rearwheel just caught some sand on the circuit causing me to pretty much t-bone the car next to me. Destroyed the bonnet, buckled front offside wheel, sliced tyre, bent top and bottom wishbone, snapped trackrod end (only realised this when i went to spin the car round to drive back to pits/possibly carry on) and bent arb. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, we threw the bonnet in the bin before leaving - benefit of it being only 1 lay-up thick!!

Have to say its a good job we weren't racing in the states, i'd have been banned for life for accidently making contact with another car...
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

But mine is dark blue, and is racing at Brands this weekend, so no more talk of crashing please! I still need to T-cut the Eclipse tyre mark off the RHS. Tempted to try my very second hand Dunlop CR65's this weekend - need to know if they're usable for Spa or if I need to bite the bullet and invest in a new set...
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

You'll be fine Charles, good luck for the weekend.
We were wondering whether to get new tyres for Spa, might as well finish these ones off first as they have enough meat on them.
Chris Todd

Post by Chris Todd »

I too remember the Paddock Bend incident and had chatted to Adam and Uncle in the paddock beforehand.
My memory says it was the opening lap but I may be wrong?
I recall seeing Adams Uncle grab his mobile as soon as the incident had happened and wondered who was getting the bad news!
I shall be there this weekend for the 750MC, always a cracker!
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Start of lap 2.
I expect my uncle was on the phone to our bodywork and fabricator friend telling him to start making a bonnet...
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

I dont suppose either of you guys wer'e filming it?
It would be interesting to see it back
Chris Todd

Post by Chris Todd »

Sorry Adam, I did not take the camera that day.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Sorry i got the colour wrong, the minds eye remembers some details better than others, especially after a few years (what year was it BTW?)!

Glad that the damage wasn't too severe in the overall scheme of things. I too didn't have video on the go, I find when I'm watching racing the peripheral vision is needed to pick up all the action happening. Sod's law decrees the car you are filming at any given moment is never the one doing something interesting....!

Are you racing this weekend too? I will try to get down to Brands but am on call for work so might not make it or might be summoned in during the day but it's worth the risk!

Biggles
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

I believe it was 2008.
I wont be racing this year apart from Spa, cost of getting married and buying a house has wiped me out for a few years.