All things oily!
chrissmith

Post by chrissmith »

Hello you members

My name is Chris Smith, the now retired and bored founder of Westfield...I don't own any old cars any more but have had lots in the past ...My memory is not great but happy to chat if needed..

Chris
Pluscat

Re: new member

Post by Pluscat »

Hello Chris

Welcome on this forum!
I think that I can speak for all forummembers, if I say that it is a great honour to have you on this forum.
You are the man behind the car, all of us have fallen in love with, love to drive and even love tinker with.

I think we would all like to hear the stories and anecdotes of the early years of Westfield from "the man" himself.
I Hope you will have a great time on this forum

René
LA 11 builder

Post by LA 11 builder »

Welcome Chris,

It is indeed an honor to have you contribute to the forum. You have a small but dedicated group of owners, builders and drivers here in the USA and especially in the Los Angeles.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to our humble forum. Oh..... and thank you. What a great car to have created.....

stephen
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Glad to have you on board. We met briefly when I collected my kit in 2007. Look forward to hearing some of the inside tales of Westfield and the Eleven.
chrissmith

Post by chrissmith »

way back in 1982 I dealt in old cars..such as Astons, Rolls, true Vintage and old race cars..I met and sold to a great guy named Mark Hancock from Roanoke in the US so some of my cars were shipped there..Mark would buy from me on trust so we got on very well. On one of his visits ther was the rusty remains of an old Lotus XI chassis under a tree in my front garden...Mark and I drove to Manchester to buy an MG TC in my Cooper "S"...alomg the way we chatted about what was to happen with the old chassis...thats how it all began...

Maybe I should start a HISTORY page

Chris
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Welcome to the forum, and if you do wish to have a history/something-else section we will create something for it.
cheers
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

chrissmith wrote:
> Hello you members
>
> My name is Chris Smith, the now retired and bored founder of Westfield...I
> don't own any old cars any more but have had lots in the past ...My memory
> is not great but happy to chat if needed..
>
> Chris

Chris, what a very pleasant surprise to see you here. I wanted an XI since I saw one at Stoneleigh in the late 80s (I think!!).

Just wondering what you might think a modern iteration of the XI would be? EcoBoost 1.0L and 120HP? Carbon lay up?

It's a great car - I can't wait to get mine on the road in just a few weeks time. I'd love to see a history page. "From the Horse's mouth"!

All the best

Jon
chrissmith

Post by chrissmith »

If Mr. webmaster makes a "history " page I would be more than pleased to dig into my racing past from 1965 to 2004

Anytime,,,,who knows what my digging may produce

Chris
Pluscat

Post by Pluscat »

A racing carreer item would be great (lots of pictures please!!) Mr Webmaster please make it happen!

The Westfield XI has become a classic in its own right, some say, even a bit of a legend. The "series 1" are even becomming sought after classics.
So any information about productionnumbers, chassisnumbers, factorybuilt cars etc. would be very interresting. Technical changes and upgrades during the productionrun are also interresting.
I don't know if there were any records made in those early years at Westfield, or if you can remember things like that.

A specific question in these matters:
I beleve that the first few chassis (frames) were not made by Westfield "in house". Is that true? And who made those first frames? And how many of those frames were made ? Are there differences between the frames that were made in house and those were not?