would it fit?

All things oily!
sgrant

would it fit?

Post by sgrant »

alleggerita

Re: would it fit?

Post by alleggerita »

that is a fantastic looking kit! I guess with a 45 DCOE there could be a little bit too much gear underneath the hood though. And how about cooling? You want to have cool air there.

In any case the price and the performance increase sound fabulous. And a good alternative to a Shorrock. Who dares?
alleggerita

Post by alleggerita »

Bonnet. I should have said bonnet. But then again: I am from neither side of the ocean so I guess I am allowed a slip of the keyboard.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Looks like HIF44 on the inlet. Perhaps Maniflow or similar could make up a custom inlet if needed?

The price is superb - especially compared with the Moss kit.

I'm wondering about a dry-sumped Ford Ecobosts 1.0L triple as it's within Chapman's lightness philosophy.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

'Looks like an Eaton. It should fit beneath the bonnet, as it is not as tall as the original SU carburetors.

The Moss kit was developed here in Ventura, at Magnuson, a respected builder of blower systems using the Eaton components. The Moss kit works well, but is expensive.

But then here is what you need to know about the supercharger, and making that supercharger power: There is no free lunch. The cost per HP is the same whether you go for some special hi compression pistons, trick cylinder head, and all the machine work necessary to true up the block. AND... You still have to put premium components back into the engine before making supercharger HP anyway, so maybe the supercharger is far more expensive, even if you start with a cheaper kit. The Supercharger doesn't get you any HP cheaper. If you make the power, you are making heat and torque. Everything will have to be upgraded to make it all work properly. This means pistons, cam, roller rockers, premium head gaskets, block and head machine work, and some serious tuning problems to look at, not the least of which will be the spark advance, and fuel flow.

And... You will definitely need an LSD and race axles, another maybe 1000 quid.

Oh, and don't forget that things you get from E Bay may not be quite as you imagined them to be after seeing the pictures, then holding the parts in your hand.

I have worked with a few supercharged and turbocharged engines, but have not worked with a BMC A, as I am not sure that it is worth the trouble.

The kit shown doesn't have an after cooler, so that my be a problem, dumping very hot air into your engine, leading to detonation. It is also important that the supercharger is properly matched to the engine as well. Then there is the problem of the carburetor. Generally, a large SU is fitted. I don't see a problem, as it will be back by the fire wall, and there should be plenty of room.
The kit will add 50 lbs of weight to the front end of the chassis. You might not want that. I sure don't.

On the plus side, If the car is RHD, there is no pedal box in the way, so there should be plenty of room there.
I think that supercharged engines are cool, but there is also some complexity. Just because every manufacturer offers blown engines in their passenger cars doesn't mean that installing an after market compressor is going to be reliable, or even make good power.

A good BMC A built for the same money as you might spend on the blower kit will make about 120 Hp or more. That' s about right for the car, and there is just one skinny belt to deal with.
biggles

Post by biggles »

it's partly about being British - think blower Bentley and Supermarine Spitfire ;) :D :D :D

Well it is for me anyway!!
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Understand the retro appeal, but if you want an engine that will make an decent power and offer any kind of reliability it would not be my choice. Too many bits to go wrong. Too much heat into the engine without an intercooler.
I agree with Jan that a decent road nat asp going A Series can be built with around 120hp. If you want more spend your money on a 7 port head and engine management / throttle bodies. But if you want retro appeal go supercharged. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time and money developing it to be halfway decent to drive!
Each to their own!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

While the 7 port head looks like a great idea, there is a problem with fitting the carburetors or throttle bodies in the W11 chassis. There will be clearance problems on the right side with the frame tube, and, if you like to fit a dizzy, it will be beneath the carburetors. Of course, crank fire ignition could be fitted, but taking a saw to the frame... I have had two requests to install this head on BMC As in the W11 chassis, and I don't think that it will fit with a pair of weber carbs with the appropriate short stacks and air cleaners.

We have a long tradition of superchargers and turbochargers here in the US as well. However, KISS (Keep it simple and stupid) rules.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Maybe you've had the chance to measure one, but my eye says that 7 port head will fit. Even if you had to cant the engine over a few degrees to the left...
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

We had some measurements to work with, and a Weber. The problem is the frame tube, as it cuts right through the carbs, or right at the carb opening, precluding any installation of air cleaner or velocity stacks. Even with the engine canted (not so easy, as you would have to cant the transmission as well, which presents its own problems). While the head is the same height, the problem occurs when you try to bolt on the carburetors. Add an inch for the anti vib gaskets, and the carbs are hard against the frame tube. Canting wont help. The engine would need to be moved to the left, perhaps a few inches. Just try to put a Weber side draft adjacent the cylinder head, about 3" away to make up for the stub manifolds and the gasket package. You will see the problem.

Anyway, the information was good enough to feel confident that it most likely would not fit, and just be a big expensive installation that would have to be sent back with a considerable restocking charge.

Funny, but I have yet to see the installation done on a Westfield, and the 7 port has been around for a long time. 'Might be good for 140 HP, with a 649 derivative cam. I would probably use a crank fire ignition so I didn't have to worry about the distributor.

Maybe when I go back through my early LHD car, I might give it a go. Prices on the heads are pretty low at the moment, and I have room to go to 1.4 liters. I'd still need a pair of 40DCOEs. I don't think that I would go with fuel injection. It's an aesthetics thing. I might remove the frame tube and replace it with a triangulated section to restore the rigidity. More study is necessary.