Silencers

All things oily!
erictharg

Re: Silencers

Post by erictharg »

I'm taking a good hard look at the Flowmaster HP2 silencer. It's not cheap (£194 'ish from DT) but it is small (4" x 5" in section; 122 or 18" long), and uses supposedly well designed baffling instead of "stuffing" to reduce the noise. I'm trying to get hold of Flowmaster's technical guys to see if the 12" is going to be enough or if I need the 18" version. Spoke to DT and of course they recommend the 18" (the more expensive one...).
£194 is 1.5 new tryes though.
bobwhittaker

Re: Silencers

Post by bobwhittaker »

Try Birchills Automotive of Walsall, they have an excellent web site showing all their products,boxes oval / round, outlets single / twin , cans for bikes etc etc., they do a bespoke service , have a good product , are fast and very reasonably priced . Two weeks ago I emailed a sketch on tuesday afternoon for the supply of two exhaust boxes / silencers 600 mm long by 127 mm O.D. 54 mm bore with 100 mm long inlet and 250 mm overall outlet having a 45 degree bend all in bright polished stainless steel . Received quote at 9am the following day , ordered by phone at 11am , they arrived by courier Monday morning , this with the weekend in between , all for £180.00 including VAT and delivery for the two.
They are now fitted to a Rover v8 engined scratch built car , one box on each side and they are handling 1725 cc of engine each (Probably some 80-85 bhp each) with very acceptable noise levels . I do realise silencing a very "soft" v8 is different job to that of a "rasping" four ,but I would reccomend their service and they might well produce something suitable. Cheers Bob Whittaker