Deep Joy!

Everything else Eleven related
jonclancy

Deep Joy!

Post by jonclancy »

The sun is shining and I needed to go and get some stuff from the local B&Q (That's Home Depot over there).

I decided to take No 42 for a leg stretch, as I am back at work soon and the wx is bound to be 'orrible week after next.

A blast out to Chippenham and the lanes back to home. Anyone who says an XI is impractical clearly hasn't seen one with guttering strapped into the pax seat with a four-point harness. :D

When I got back, I noticed a nearside rattle. My silencer has worked loose (probably lost the exhaust clamp during the caning!). Probably a good opportunity to whip it off and see about getting hold of one of the metal, noise-reduction cones mentioned in the other lists.

I'm still working through what I think is an oil control problem. Initial compression test with Mike's Dad-In-Law's vintage compression tester showed 150PSI, but it doesn't hold the pressure for analysis. So, I have a modern, conventional item coming next week. If the valve stem oil seals have become brittle with age, or aren't a great fit, then the compression test will always be "wet" and that isn't helpful for diagnosis. Everything looks good under the rocker cover, and I was going to check the valve clearances anyway.

These trivial matters aside, it's an occasion every time I get into this car . I can't think of any motor I've owned or driven that has given me so much pleasure!! 8-)

Hurrah!
Westfield 129

Re: Deep Joy!

Post by Westfield 129 »

On a standard engine, 150 is OK. Especially if you have 150 on the other 3. If you are getting some blue smoke, that could be a problem with the seals and valve guides.

Or, as happened in my engine prior to rebuild, the original pistons shed the top ring land. Continuous running at 4500 RPM does that (our freeways here require cruise speeds of over 65, which is a bit hard with the 4 speed and that 4.22 final drive) The increase in oil consumption is a clue.

I use my W11 to go to Costco, so I limit my grocery purchases to what fits in the passenger side. Much in the way of savings that way. Maybe enough to cover the insurance for a year!
xkfeng7

Post by xkfeng7 »

I agree that blasting down the road with home improvement supplies sticking out of the passenger seat a vintage OTS is fun and get's you more "are you nuts," looks than just about anything else you can legally do on public roads. Coincidentally, I was thinking of taking the W11 to Costco (big warehouse store) yesterday, but I live with 4 females so the amount of toilet paper we buy each month barely fits in my BMW estate ...
xkfeng7

Post by xkfeng7 »

Jon,
I assume you bought a tester which measures leak-down as well. That's what you need to confirm if you have a problem with the top ring (per Jan's post).
John
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Ah Costo, I know thee well!!! :D

It's a place of temptation - just need to explain to Mrs C why I have returned with a 20Kg bag of bird-seed and 4000 dishwasher tablets. And 50 litres of car shampoo!!

I have a standard compression tester coming, as I couldn't stretch my budget x4 to buy a leak-down tester. I don't have a compressor, either. :cry:

There is no smoke on fast running (according to Mike who was following in his SDV Westfield), just when blipping the throttle on idling.

I hadn't lost the exhaust clamp, it was just a bit loose. Seeing as I was under there, I've got the can off for cleaning / inspection and will get some assembly paste for the weekend.

I'm hoping for some nice weahter at the end of the month, as I notice there's another local track-day arranged. I'll need to see if I can scrape up the £109 entry fee.
adamwilkinson

Post by adamwilkinson »

Jon,

What colour is said smoke when blipping the throttle?
If its blackish then its most likely unburnt fuel in the exhaust system.
If its blueish then thats oil.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Adam,

It's black - ish. Almost gassed Mike when we were waiting in the queue to exit the Revival car park!! :P I've got black plugs but have roughly reset the carbs per the book. When on the rollers, we had pre-detonation that took a bit of dialling out. Vizard comments that oil control could allow for oil in the mixture that would cause premature pinking for a given advance, and I'd like to investigate that. When I remove the plugs, part of the thread is oily. So, while I am not overly concerned, I have a few avenues to follow.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Just a quick update - it's kind of on topic, because it's fun tinkering with the Eleven.

Tried out my new compression tester. Initially I had to try to get the o-ring seal right - which I cottoned on to.

Pressures were around 180 to 190 cold the second time around. Dropped to a uniform 170 as the battery drained a smidge. I noted that the top of the forward rocker cover fastener seemed be weepy, so I wiped that down with some 70% IPA. Did around the rocker gasket as well. I think I'll be getting a lower profile set up when I have a bit more cash, and this kit will come with a new seal etc. But, it it's weeping a bit, it may explain the slight oiliness in the top of the spark plug thread. The plugs electrodes are a lovely brown now, so this bodes well for my mixture settings.

I'll pick up some HT silicone gasket sealant tomorrow and get the silencer refitted (off to the club meet on Thurs PM, before the rain!!). I don't think I have tome to check the valve clearances this week, but if I do, I'll run through those as well.

My oil consumption is still to be nailed, and I suspect the guide seals will be next on the target list. Theres another track day at the end of the month, but I doubt I can get that past the Boss here!! :)