Westfield Eleven Steering Wheel

All things oily!
SpritelyStan

Westfield Eleven Steering Wheel

Post by SpritelyStan »

I currently own a 1958 Elva MkIII Sports Racer 100/65 that has an original alloy flat steering wheel without cork and leather wrap. This steering wheel is similar to what I see on original Westfield Elevens. Any advise would be greatly appreciated for:
1. restoring original steering wheel with cork and leather
2. purchasing a new Westfield 11 wheel
3. purchasing a used Westfield 11 wheel

Thank you for your time
Stan Mason USA
jonclancy

Re: Westfield Eleven Steering Wheel

Post by jonclancy »

Welcome,Stan!

The factory can be contacted about a new steering wheel. I haven't seen a used one for sale ever!!

You could get your original restored. How about dropping one of the wheel manufacturers a line! Moto Lita etc. If anything, they may point you in the right direction

Who made the original?

Cheers

Jon
LA 11 builder

Post by LA 11 builder »

Try eBay, I found a 1960's vintage Moto-Lita there..... There were also Les Leston wheels too.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Westfield's W11 steering wheels are bespoke, and can be ordered from the spares department. They are produced to order.

I am going to order one for my birthday to replace the worn one on my current W11. The price is a bit dear, but not that bad.

The Moto Lita wheels are also a possibility.
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Stan , I have an unused " new old stock " Westfield Eleven steering wheel which came with my kit , due to my " mature fuller figure " I fitted an 11 inch diameter wheel which is very usable and gives me better access . I have no intention of disposing of the car and don't see me ever fitting the standard wheel . The red leather rim is unmarked however there is some pitting on one spoke on one side and all three spokes on the other side ( one side is better than the other ) however I am certain this pitting will polish out on all spokes . The centre is drilled with six 3/16" clearance holes at 2 1/4" PCD . I am thinking of about £60.00 plus carriage , if interested please respond . Bob Whittaker
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Bob

If the other board member doesn't take the wheel, I would love to have it, pits and all.

Let me know.

Jan
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

The snag to me with newer Moto Lita wheels is that they use that huge boss and PCD, that to my eyes just looks plain ugly. I have one of their older wheels when they used a much smaller PCD (still 9 bolt) and looks way better. The Italian (esp Nardi) wheels have a much better sense of style and proportion. Or as mentioned before, the replica wheel that Westfield do.
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

JAN / STAN , the " New Old Stock " steering wheel has gone to Europe ( Holland ) Cheers BOB
Splat

Post by Splat »

These two are on ebay (Jan 2014):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-car-s ... 2a3644bfbc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-car-s ... 2a3644b116

For future reference (ie; when these links are no longer active) the seller handmakes steering wheels in ally/leather to suit. Price circa £200. Please ring 07530219343 for more details. Seller name; Jagnuts
beng4

Post by beng4 »

These wheels look very much like the one on my car that allymally sourced for me. If they are the same I can confirm they are very nicely made and give a great 'feel' to the car when on the road. I see there is also another wheel up for sale in auction at 199£ the seller sounds a bit like chris smith.......? Sorry cant link but its listed as 14" steering wheel lotus 7 or 11

Ben