Wiring Diagram

All things oily!
Nick Algar

Wiring Diagram

Post by Nick Algar »

Hi Guys, well finally got my new loom from Westfield. ordered begining of october, arrived end Jan. But I think long term a more reliable way of doing things.

Has anyone got a Wiring Diagram for the New Westifeld loom, I have asked the factory, but been waiting a week now and given up. I could probably work it out, but it's just much easier with a diagram.

Can get cracking into the build then :D :D :D
biggles

Re: Wiring Diagram

Post by biggles »

pics of where you are starting from please!!! or a build blog....
Nick Algar

Post by Nick Algar »

Pics and blog will be up, but not started yet, still clearing Garage to get ready :shock:
Splat

Post by Splat »

If they've stuck to the Spridget colour-coding, then the answer would be, "Haynes manual". ;)
Nick Algar

Post by Nick Algar »

That's a BIG if Splat :D especially with Westfield, more likely to use the colours of their normal car looms.

But luckily it doesn;t matter thanks to Si who emailed me the diagram over, so now sorted thanks.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Any chance of putting it in a resources folder here, please?

My car has that loom, and a reference might come in handy.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Any chance of putting it in a resources folder here, please?

My car has that loom, and a reference might come in handy.
Nick Algar

Post by Nick Algar »

Hi Jon,
Great idea but can't find an area to put it, so it's attached to this post.

I am slightly worried that it is a 2006 drawing and shows a Dynamo and rectifier. But as I have an alternator I will work around that. when I have done so I will post how to modify it.

Cheers Nick

Sorry, tried to attach it but PDF's are not allowed. Happy to email to you Jon if you can put it in a common resource area.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I pulled my wiring scheme, and it is also 2006, and shows a control box and dynamo.

I didn't use the wiring harness that came with the kit. Instead, I wired the car from scratch (I have done several Lucas scheme cars, so this was not difficult), using a 12 circuit Painless Wiring fuse block with integrated flashers and relays. This was actually easier than trying to install the factory wiring harness, though I did use the front and rear portions to run the wiring to the lights at both ends of the car.

All circuits are labeled, as are all the fuses, which makes service much easier. Since all the wiring is open (not wrapped, but instead tied, as is standard aircraft practice), it is easy to trace the wiring from the fuse block to any individual component, eliminating the need for a schematic. Using standard Lucas wiring code also speeds any trouble shooting.

The Painless box, with its labeling and very simple instructions, makes it easy to wire a simple car like the Westfield. it is a much simpler task than you might think, and well within the abilities of anyone who could assemble the mechanical portion of the car. All you need is a good crimper and plenty of terminal ends, along with the proper wire in the right color codes.

I ended up stripping out the wires from the supplied harness and wired the car to my own specifications, using standard Lucas wiring color code.

The home cooked wiring scheme works well, with my personal car now at 10 years, with no wiring problems at all.
Nick Algar

Post by Nick Algar »

129, I have wired a few cars and to be honest, never really felt the time taken was worth it compared with cost of buying a ready made loom. Yes it's rewarding to say you did it, but really can't be bothered these days. We only have some much time in our life and I try not to waste my'n. The swap to Alternator won;t be hard.