Chassis Paint

All things oily!
Splat

Chassis Paint

Post by Splat »

I'm sorry! I could have posted this a couple of years ago when I first discovered it.........

I've finally got the rear suspension off and the axle removed in order to fix the leaking diff., replace the bushes and fit long shocks. I'm just treating the few areas of surface corrosion on the rear chassis, mostly caused by the fibreglass wheel arches rubbing against the rails (although the shear plates for the radius arm fore-mounts are particularly bad).

I've previously discovered that Rust-Oleum Dark Grey paint, available from Homebase in both aerosol and brush-on, is an (almost) exact colour match for my (2005) chassis.

Edited to add that although bright sunshine might show otherwise, in my well lit garage (multiple fluorescent strip-lights) the refinished areas are indistinguishable from the original finish. Lucky find.......
jonclancy

Re: Chassis Paint

Post by jonclancy »

A top tip. Thanks!

Do you rub back to bare metal, or just nib the top off the chassis coating, apply Kurust/Jenolite and then repaint, Si?
Splat

Re: Chassis Paint

Post by Splat »

Bit of both. Wire brush / emery paper to remove the worst, rust converter as a precaution, rust encapsulating primer then top coat. Result is indistinguishable from the surrounding, sound original paint.