Source for dizzy advance springs in the UK?

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Source for dizzy advance springs in the UK?

Post by Westfield 129 »

If it is fuel injected, try a fresh tank of fuel, and two bottles of fuel system cleaner. Any reputable brand should work. If it has been sitting around for 3 years, getting rid of the condensation in the tank (assuming that the car was parked with an empty or partially full tank) and old sticky injectors may be causing your problems.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

You should be getting reasonable performance (albeit with difficult starting) if you just lock the distributor at the max advance you need (30 to 36 deg or whatever). Most mech advance systems are close to max advance by 2000 rpm anyway. So anything really significant in terms of drive-ability is likely not due to mech advance springs being off. Look elsewhere.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Thanks for the thoughts on the subject. I've run out of time, now I need the van to be running so I'll settle for a combination of EricT and W129s approach which will give the correct advance at WOT. And with the current spring, its not as bad as it was originally, Im only missing about 25% of the curve and that will translate to a few hundred rpm from idle.

Its been an iterative process, chipping away at one fault only to find another, or even in one or two cases a fault has turned out to look more like a bodge to correct another fault. The amazing thing is the vehicle actually ran reasonably well, given the number of issues found.

Just on carb and dizzy so far the list was:
Choke vacuum pulldown inoperative
Choke bi-metallic strip open circuit
Fast idle cam not working (spring incorrectly positioned)
accelerator pump partially seized, it would only open after 50% throttle travel
mixture needle screw missing last 3mm (I think was deliberate to richen the mixture to compensate for *some* other running lean issue elsewhere - instead of a needle point it had a very neatly filled truncated cone at the end but if you counted the number of turns it would be in the right area)
internal fuel filter full of crud (it lives inside the brass fuel inlet tube. If you don't know there is supposed to be one in there you would never find it)
possible air leak around throttle butterfly bushes - might be what the needle valve shortening was trying to compensate for?
vacuum advance on dizzy inoperative
mechanical advance curve on dizzy to steep
Timing quite away out, but again that might be to compensate for the advance issues.

Probably one or two more I have forgotten by now. Apart from the internal fuel filter and choke stuff, which did make a noticeable difference, I couldn't swear that the van actually feels any better to drive....