Will a HIF44 fit under the bonnet ?

All things oily!
seajayare

Re: Will a HIF44 fit under the bonnet ?

Post by seajayare »

Jon, do you need the spacer betwen the manifold and the carb?

From tne pictures it looks like the fit would be better without it but I don't know what the function of the spacer is so something more important might be worse!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

The carb integral float bowl needs to be away from the exhaust manifold. I have a heat shield on the way. I'll try a dry fit without the spacer, but the onger inlet tract = more torque.

Anyone got any views about the little power bulge??
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

Jon, would be great to know if it fits without the spacer as my carb doesn't have the spacer and I am hoping it will fit.

roughly what is the clearance between the bonnet and the top of the cylinder head?

Chris
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Chris,

I have around 5 to 10mm clearance with that low profile filler cap. Edit to add that I will check the clearance without the spacer when I have a moment, but the spacer may be necessary for best performance.... and reduced chance of vapour locking! :o

HTH,

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Also to add, Chris, that I picked up my spacer new from eBay. Ditto the heatshield.

This installation will, no doubt, need a new choke cable etc, but with the info gleened and posted, it should be a pretty simple, bolt-on conversion.

Cheers

Jon
Attachments
heatshield.JPG
spacer.JPG
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay!

You will need the spacer, as the throttle linkages foul on the inlet manifold. I''ll get onto Maniflow and ask them about producing a Westfield XI spec manifold.

More details as they come. I've got to get my car finishad asap!! :D
Daggers-xi

Post by Daggers-xi »

Jon,
Just to let you know that I am still watching this topic with interest, my engine install is coming up fast.
A specific maniflow inlet for the XI would be of great interest as I am still being advised by my engine builder that the HIF44 would be the best carb for my intended use.
Daggers
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi all,

Email sent to Maniflow, with a link to this thread. I tried calling them a couple of times, but had to leave a message.

Hopefully have some news soon. Bank Holiday weekend and my work roster will probably delay installation for a week or two, depending on when Maniflow are able to schedule the job.

Cheers

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Update:

I'll be picking up the Westfield XI special from Maniflow on Thursday afternoon. I may have time to dry fit it Saturday AM to take a pic or two to post. Should have the car running in a week or so due other stuff going on.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I have a new, custom, HIF44 manifold in the back of my car. Plus a repaired exhaust manifold which needed a little blob here and there.

The new model has a slightly longer inlet tract than th estandard Sprite. The straight design just clears the exhaust manifold. Should with with the spacer and heatshield. I'll try to check this out tomorrow AM. :D