IVA Test forms sent

Everything else Eleven related
Si Richards

IVA Test forms sent

Post by Si Richards »

Afternoon all, I'm back and it's been too long.

About a year ago I got side tracked and spent my spare time building a Puma race car but now it's done and feeling very guilty, all my attention is now back on the Eleven. The IVA forms are in the post so just have to see when the station is available to do my test.

If anyone has any tips or things to watch out for feel free to let me know.

Cheers
Simon
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
Daggers-xi

Re: IVA Test forms sent

Post by Daggers-xi »

Welcome back Si.
Started to get a bit worried that you had given up.
My car is now up and running, just started to IVA proof the car, frog eye's, extra trim etc.
Any chance of a couple of photos showing the car with its IVA bits?
Best of luck with the test.
Daggers
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Hi Daggers, no I didnt give up just changed direction for a while and built the Puma which we are now racing in the Dunlop Puma Cup. My first time racing and what a lot of fun it is. I will take some pictures of the XI and pop them up ASAP for you. Glad to hear your nearing the end of the build I hope youve enjoyed it?

Cheers Si

In the meantime heres the Puma :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_1881.JPG
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi,

I too, was nearly there at this time last year but then I let other commitments take over until Christmas when I got my head down again and finished everything off in time for the car to be in the WSCC marquee at Stoneleigh (in all its IVA gear). My last issue was exhaust noise which, thanks to a new link pipe with a small Cherry Bomb silencer within it, has been successfully cured.

I've just heard from my wife that Photobox have delivered my build photographs of my Eleven so my IVA forms (already filled in last weekend just waiting for the prints) will be posted off tomorrow. I've asked for Kidderminster / Bristol - where are you planning to take yours?

Simon
Attachments
Small IMG_0931.jpg
Small IMG_0926.jpg
Small IMG_0921.jpg
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Im planning on taking mine to Gillingham or Southampton but Gillingham is my first choice. Yours is looking cracking so lets hope and pray for a double first time pass.

Cheers
Si
Attachments
IMG_5947.JPG
IMG_5944.JPG
IMG_5941.JPG
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

Gents,
have you managed to get the min 250mm height that I think you need for the fog and reversing lights?

I am only asking because I am having to guess where mine will end up as the car is still on stands so no real idea of how high everything will actually be when on the floor so I moved mine up above the number plate and they look horrid up there!

Is there a noise requirement for the Basic IVA? I have been assuming the Basic IVA requirements are applicable to the XI rather than the Normal requirements and haven't noticed anything in the IVA manual but there are loads of words so I could easily have missed it.

Good luck with your tests both
Splat

Post by Splat »

Strongly suspect that the more ugly you make it, the more legal it'll be :lol:
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

:lol:
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Yes the uglier the better is definitely the way forward, I'm almost embarrassed to allow it in public view at the moment (now I know how my mum felt when I was a baby)

The height on mine is bang on from the bottom of the lamp but it's only to get it through so if it works leave it where it is. With regards to sound I believe it has to be 99dba or less.

Cheers
Si
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

My fog / reversing lights are 265mm to the underside of the lenses - I was able to leave tolerance with mounting them horizontally.

The basic IVA requirement is for 99dB(A). My initial noise test (using Oxford Motor Club' calibrated meter) was in excess of 104dB(A). I have now replaced the link pipe (between manifold and silencer) with a new one containing a Cherry Bomb silencer and, with new spark plugs fitted (as the old ones were rather sooted up with a lot of ticking over in the garage), it ran smoothly and 95dB(A) when tested at 4,000rpm and the meter 500mm from the exhaust outlet - Result! The silenced link pipe was built for me by Custom Chrome in Nuneaton (who make the Cherry Bombs). It is currently in mild steel but once the IVA is passed, they are going to replicate it in stainless and I'll happily use a two box system. I have also built a floor below the Weber carburettor and sound deadened this and the panelling in that area (which is, of course, open to the exhaust).

Simon