New Eleven owner

Everything else Eleven related
Westfield 129

Re: New Eleven owner

Post by Westfield 129 »

You don't have to shorten the linkage. This is quite a job, and requires that the transmission be removed from the car, and the transmission case section cut and welded, along with the internal linkage.

On the other hand, the shfter turret and lever is easily removed from the top with the transmission in the car. Bending or extending the shift lever forward is very simple, but I do not think that you need to do it if the lever you have is straight. You can even replace the turret with a short throw unit if you prefer, with a lever produced to your liking.

Once you have the car in front of you, you will find that most of what is described will be obvious. The car is very simple in its layout and construction. Not many systems. Nothing complex. Most everything on the car can be serviced with a couple of open end wrenches and a screw driver.

Google Translator works well on my Renault manual (which happens to be written in German...).
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Hello guys,

Due to work commitments, I still haven't spent some time on my Eleven.

Most of my spare time is spent on my Pre-Lit Seven, who will soon be ready for our local MOT.

In the meantime, I've takenthis picture of one of my "sheds", hope you will appreciate.

Regards,

Chris.
Attachments
DSCN0871w.JPG
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Some news about my Eleven : I took one important decision, who will be to ask to a friend of mine, an English panel beater (a king of the art !), to create doors and scuttle in light alloy instead of fiberglass.

We will make a second fuel tank (from alloy too), who, with a spare wheel, should be located to the back, and remove all the un-necessary carpets for a more "authentic" look.

Beside this, the warning swith will be hidden under the dash, but still wired, as it is, imho, a very safe add.
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

DOOR STRAPS
My preference is to fit them to the forward edge of the door and the scuttle top .
The strap is then completely out of the way when you step through from the rear
of the door to enter the car .
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Second fuel tank and spare wheel .

If you go to my latest post under " MKB 752 update " I have described fitment of both items .
I will at some point publish photographs of these also the fitment of headlamp rims which
is simple and looks far more finished than the exposed holder and adjuster screws .

Regards carpets etc. , I run with minimum trim and feel as you state this is more like the
original XI , not only that it gives room for my fuller figure which is amply padded anyway.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

There is plenty of room to place an extended standard fuel tank. Rather than fabricate a second tank, with filler, pump and cross over, when you can extehd the back half of the supplied fuel tank and slip the whole thing into the chassis. You can nearly double the size, and eliminate quite a bit of complication.
Splat

Post by Splat »

By the time that I've emptied the standard tank (120ish miles/2 hours) it's time to extract myself and rearrange the soft, squidgy bits!
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Second fuel tank , pump and change over system .

There something to be gained by not having all your eggs in one basket including the redundancy
of the second fuel pump now installed . Also of consideration is that one of the prime reason for
the second tank on the left side was to balance out the not inconsiderable mass permanently
seated on the right side . ( ie. Yours truly )

Regards complication , the original system has been left in place , no fabrication of an extended tank
or cutting / removal of any panels was needed as the tank was a standard item at £99.95 , lift up the
rear clam and there it is with the filler under cover . The fuel pump and filter , £9.95 , alongside it with
the plumbing being 2 metres of fuel pipe , 2 quarter turn ball valves and a 1/4" BSP T , the wiring being
a spare core in the front to rear loom and the fuel pump on/off switch changed for an on/off/on switch .
No fuel gauge has ever been fitted to the car and I use a piece of 8mm wooden dowel , avoids complications
and I have yet to run out of petrol . Total price for the job including VAT and delivery ( Not my time though )
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I am fully with the fellow as to the range of the standard tank. My car gets about 30 mpg at 80 mph. 4 gallons is about my own range before I need to get out and stretch.
Chris59

Post by Chris59 »

Interesting contributions, thanks guys !

I now have to convert all these (imperials ?) gallons and mph into litres and Km/h :mrgreen:

I don't like the idea to have to open the rear clam to refuel, so I'll have to find another solution.

Modifying the original fuel tank is tempting, but weight distibution is important too : once I'll remove all the panels from this car the solution will be evident, I don't worry about this.

About the doors, as write elsewhere, I'll ask to my panel beater to make new doors and scuttle panel in alloy, so straps will have to wait ;)