How was the Kop hill climb Splatters?

Everything else Eleven related
biggles

How was the Kop hill climb Splatters?

Post by biggles »

How did it go and any pics?
Cheers Tim
Splat

Re: How was the Kop hill climb Splatters?

Post by Splat »

Well! The weather held and it was generally fine and bright. There were two very heavy but brief showers on Sunday. And guess what? They both coincided exactly with my runs (or at least, the road drives to return to the paddock)! The start line and the first hundred yards or so were mega-greasy from mud and rain, so I was able to deliberately wheelspin off the line and past the majority of the spectators and the grandstand. All good fun. Sadly I can't upload the videos here!

I spent both days parked beside a lovely, French-built D-type replica and the famous Stovebolt Special. For those not familiar with this car, google it; it's a beauty. Owner Simon Taylor is a very well regarded motorsports journalist and F1 commentator. I was extremely chuffed when he gave my car the once over and declared it "extremely authentic-looking"! I'll take that.......

(For some reason, I can't attach photos at the mo, so I'll update this when I can....)
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Nice one, Si.

Look forward to seeing your vids! Dropbox/email/YouTube... all welcome!

I've just googled the Stovebolt Special. Five litresand 600bhp/ton! :o

Sitting here in a rather dreary, drizzly, Shangers revising tech, and hoping the Crosthwaite and Gardiner info I requested will drop into my inbox... :)

Cheers
biggles

Post by biggles »

Sounds great! I love the Stovebolt, but the maintenance costs have been heroic according to ST's Classic and Sportscar writings - try seven or eight grand for a diff, and IIRC he spent close to twenty big ones on a strip down and service/spruce up. However, I think he can afford it as he also owns an AC Ace and a Bentley! He judges/competes in some of the posher concours d'elegances too so if he liked your car you're doing alright!

JC, how long are you in Shangers for, I arrive on Tuesday for a few days!

Cheers Tim
biggles

Post by biggles »

JC l just reread that, Crosthwaite's, alloy body for your build? :o lottery win? :D
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Turning in now, and home tomorrow night Tim.

Lottery? I wish! :D Just enquiring prices on some rear suspension parts. Diff casing etc...

Cheers

Jon
biggles

Post by biggles »

Diff casing? You doing a full de Dion rear end Jon? I think you need to start your build thread as we are hijacking this one big time!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Well, if we're just here waiting for Splat to post some links to his videos... :D

You can get the diff casing, shafts and uprights. They are not cheap, but will be costed to see.

What you can't get from C&G is the De Dion tube. Might have to scour around for that, or get one welded up from scratch. But we would need the drawings...

Whaddya reckon?
beng4

Post by beng4 »

De-dion sounds nice, but wont offer much on a road car apart from increased complexity and cost..... the castings will not be cheap and machining them will also have to be factored in. also consider the IVA and requirements to check off donor items- a live axle is an item you may require to keep your identity/age related plate? Just my view having built one :roll:
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

All good points, Ben. I know you're right, but I wanted to explore all the options. Seems the DVLA have relaxed the rules somewhat. Now you only need the donor engine and gearbox.

The diff casing alone is the same cost as a rebuilt LSD from Heathrow Transmissions. All the other components are around the four hundred quid each mark. Probably a little short of five grand for the rear end... Hmmmm :o