HELP!! steeringrack bracket LH

All things oily!
Pluscat

HELP!! steeringrack bracket LH

Post by Pluscat »

Hi guys,

I need your help. Yesterday I replaced my steeringrack, (wanted to replace it, to be correct) As I was removing the rack I noticed that the LH steering bracket had a crack, (well, while I was removing the bolts a piece came of).

No big deal, one would think, easy to replace. Except for the fact that this part is nowhere to be found (Moss, Angloparts). Welding the part is perhaps an option, but that doesn't inspire me with confidence.
Does any one of you guys have one left? (Ofcourse I wil pay for the part and shipment) Or does anyone know where to get one? (A.S.A.P.)
(The partnumber is AHA 5392)

Many thanks in advance,

René
Attachments
BILD5842.JPG
Last edited by Pluscat on Thu May 31, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adamwilkinson

Re: HELP!! steeringrack bracket LH

Post by adamwilkinson »

Try Brown and Gammons, here is a link to the midget steering parts page - http://www.ukmgparts.com/browse.aspx?CI ... 47b077b938
Pluscat

Post by Pluscat »

Thanx Adam, but the LH bracket is n/a, i'm affraid.

but: GOD BLESS EBAY!
(can't believe I said that!)
I just bought a pair of brackets on ebay for a fair price :D !
I'm over the moon with joy, the dark vissions of not being able to drive my XI this summer have vanished.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Those cast brackets are rather fragile. Mine came loose a while ago becaue I didn't dare torque them up too much. Glad you found some. Worst case I'm sure we could get some made up from solid if necessary.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

My nephew just dismantled a Midget with the fat rack and brackets. One was broken, but I am going to have it TIG welded. It will be fine when finished. I am also keeping the LHD steering rack as a spare.

You can do the same, or... Machine a new one using the one you have as a pattern. I may be able to do this for you here, as I intend to use the brackets I have to machine new ones.

I will let you know how much new ones would cost. It wont be inexpensive, but it will be an accurate part, precisely machined from billet.
Pluscat

Post by Pluscat »

I'll keep your offer in the back of my head. I have bought a set of used brackets on ebay, and they haven't arrived on my doorstep yet.
Still, I don't know what condition they are in.
Having the broken bracket TIG welded is still an working alternative, should the ebay-stuff not arrive
Charles (erictharg) might be interrested in your newly machined brackets to.

I hope to get the car ready before mid-august. I have entered my XI for a hillclimb then, and I don't want to miss that
Pluscat

Post by Pluscat »

The bracket I bought on ebay arrived this morning :D . Somewhere under the oil and dirt was a bracket, in perfect condition.
Soon, very soon Pluscat rides again!! 8-)